Ardrossan ( gäl. Aird Rosain ) is a city in Scotland. The city, which had 2008 31.570 inhabitants, is part of the Unitary Authority North Ayrshire.
The name meaning leads to the Gaelic Ard for height and ros and which means a small promontory.
The roots go Ardrossans already back to 1140. The importance of the city grew rapidly in the 18th and 19th centuries, as the Firth of Clyde gained a great importance for the shipping industry in relation to the coal and steel shipments. From 1842 to the late 1950s shipbuilding was operated in Ardrossan Ardrossan Shipbuilding Company shipyard by the smaller fishing vessels were built even into the 1980s. Ardrossan was one of the last cities that a colony was in 1846, but by 1974 this status in the division of Scotland into nine regions where Ardrossan Strathclyde devolved, but lost.
Ardrossan has three railway stations, the Ardrossan South Beach, in the center of Ardrossan Town and the port closed in 1968 and 1987, re-opened station Ardrossan Harbour. All three stations are located at the coming of Glasgow Ayrshire Coast Line, which divides at the station South Beach and a branch in the city leads, while the other branch to Largs continues.
Across the street Ardrossan is served by the A78 and the A737.
- The physicist John Kerr was born 1824 in Ardrossan.
The city has two diplomatic missions, one from Denmark and one from Norway