Arkadak (Russian Аркадак ) is a town in Saratov Oblast (Russia) with 12,845 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The city is located in the Oka -Don plain about 250 km west of the Oblasthauptstadt Saratov on the Great Arkadak near its confluence with the Chopjor, a tributary of the Don.
Arkadak is the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons.
The town lies on the railway line opened in 1896 Balashov - Rtischtschewo - Pensa.
Arkadak was created in 1721 as a village, which was named after the river (derived from turksprachig Rear mountain ) its name. In 1939, the place the status of an urban-type settlement and 1963, the city law.
Note: Census data
Culture and sights
In Arkadak the Assumption Church ( церковь Вознесения / Tserkov Wosnessenija ) is obtained from 1822, also a relatively large part of the historic wooden buildings. The city has since 1968 a local museum.
Arkadak is the center of an agricultural region. In the city's various enterprises of the food industry are located, some of which were founded in the 19th century (spirits Arkadakski factory, oil mill since 1913).