The village in the morning light
Arlesheim (Basel German: Montarlese [ ɑ ː ʀləsə ] ) is a municipality in the district of Arlesheim in the canton of Basel -Country in Switzerland.
Arlesheim is located on 335 m above sea level between the Birs and the mountain Gempen on its edge in Birseck. The area of the municipality is 6.94 km ², of which 53 % forest, 35% of settlements, 11% of agricultural areas and 1% unproductive areas.
Coat of arms
This was the sign of the Lords of Üsenberg which possessed the Bailiwick Birseck in the Middle Ages.
To Arlesheim include the Hermitage and Hollenberg Caves and the " Hollow Rock ," the ruin Birseck in which skeletons, tools, grinding stones and jewelry were found from the Old, Middle, and the Neolithic period. 1239 came " Arlisheim " to the diocese of Basel.
Between 1529 and 1581 it was reformed in the meantime, but switched back to the old faith. 1679 the cathedral chapter of Basel or Freiburg im Breisgau was moved to Arlesheim. Were built the cathedral and the Domherrenhäuser.
August 10, 1792 gave General Biron on behalf of the French nation to the people of the diocese the power to shock the sovereign and to give itself a new constitution. A National Assembly in Pruntrut proclaimed the " Raurachische Republic». Thus vanished the worldly possessions and influence of the bishop. The cathedral chapter was dissolved Arlesheim auctioned the cathedral and the Almshouses to the highest bidder.
Arlesheim now belonged to France for 22 years and witnessed the rise and fall of the "great Emperor 'Napoleon I.. Was slammed in the Congress of Vienna in 1814/ 15 to the old Canton of Basel. The Arlesheimer citizens sat down in 1832 for the separation of a canton, therefore they belong since 1833 to the half-canton of Basel-Country, and Arlesheim was the district capital.
Since 1921 is in Arlesheim the world's first anthroposophic hospital, the Ita Wegman Clinic.
33 % of the population are Roman Catholic and reformed 31%. The proportion of foreigners is 19.5 %.
- Joseph Hartmann Stuntz (1793-1859), composer, choirmaster and conductor
- Madeux Eugen (1810-1886), politician
- Johann Baptist Häner (1818-1885), politician
- Emil Frey (1838-1922), journalist, officers, ambassadors and politicians
- Ludwig Rudolf Alioth (1848-1916), engineer and entrepreneur
Arlesheim is founded internationally known for the 1921 and thus the world's first anthroposophic clinic, which is now named after its founder Ita Wegman. Also the company Weleda is a resident of the place. It produces anthroposophic medicinal products and is known worldwide.
Arlesheim is very well served by public transport. Thus, the municipality owns together with the community Dornach a station on the railway law and is every half hour served by the S -Bahn line 3, which runs between Basel and running. The BLT Tram line 10, which leads via Munich stone, connects Arlesheim with the city of Basel.
A bus service also ensures a connection with the Dornach- Arlesheim and Reinach station.
- Baroque cathedral, completed in 1681, with an organ by Johann Andreas Silbermann from 1761. From 1812 to 1823 was the musician Martin Vogt organist in the Cathedral.
- Castle Birseck destroyed the Basel earthquake of 1356, rebuilt after. In 1793 it was sacked and set on fire by revolutionaries. 1812 was partially rebuilt.
- Reichenberg Castle stone, destroyed the Basel earthquake of 1356, rebuilt in 1933.
- Hermitage in Arlesheim, landscaped in 1785 an English landscape park with caves, ponds and a hermitage.
- Cathedral Square with the Domplatzbrunnen of 1680 and the canons'. Today, there are district court, scribbling and district governor office.
Pond in the Hermitage
Post Place, City Centre
Municipal House ( Domherrenhaus )
Post square with fountain