- Niger - Congo Atlantic - Congo Volta - Congo Kwa Nyo Potou - Tano Tano Central Akan Twi
The Akan languages (for more details see there) belong to the Kwa language family. (: Asante - Twi, Ashanti, Asante also ) with around 2,800,000 and Akuapem - Twi (also: Akwapem, Twi, Akuapim, Akwapi ) Within the Twi dialects Ashanti Twi be distinguished with about 555,000 speakers.
Among the early European explorers of the language belonged to the missionary Johann Gottlieb Christaller ( 1827-1895 ).
Known Twi - speakers
- Nana Abrokwa, musicians
- Ignatius Kutu Acheampong, former President of Ghana
- Otto Addo, football player
- Akwasi Afrifa, former President of Ghana
- Kofi Annan, former Secretary General of the United Nations ( UN)
- Gerald Asamoah, football player
- Albert Adu Boahen, Ghanaian historian and politician
- Samuel Kuffour, football player
- John Agyekum Kufuor, former President of Ghana
- Sarkodie, musicians, Konvict Muzik see # Artist (selection)
- Anthony Yeboah, football player