Aschenhausen is a municipality in the district Schmalkalden- Meiningen in Frankish dominated the south of Thuringia. The municipality belongs to the administrative community Hohe Rhön, which has its headquarters in the town of Kaltensundheim.
- 2.1 Jewish Community
- 3.1 municipal
- 4.1 Structures
- 5.1 traffic
It lies at the eastern foot of the Leichelberges and northwest of this castle in the Thuringian Rhön. Through the village leads the Rhön- Rennsteig hiking trail, connecting the water dome with Oberhof.
In the village is the source of the White creek, which flows south to Herpf.
For the first time the place in the year 838 was mentioned as Aseshuson. It was from the 15th century to the Official Sand County Henneberg - Schleusingen, the high jurisdiction over the place but was not under the center Friedelhausen. Until 1803 Aschenhausen was a rich knight nomic village owned by the Imperial Knight family of Spesshardt (also Speßhart ), who lived in the village since 1486.
The knights nomic places Aschenhausen and Roßdorf came with dissolution of the imperial knights in the year 1803 in the acquis communautaire of the duchies of Saxe-Meiningen and Saxe-Weimar- Eisenach, until finally in 1808 Aschenhausen in the sole possession of Saxe-Weimar- Eisenach and Roßdorf in the Sachsen- Meiningen fell. Aschenhausen was affiliated with the Office Kaltennordheim.
Until the First World War, there was a relatively large Jewish community, with a total of 50 families, even the majority of the population was formed in 1848 in the village. Then the size of the community went through emigration, above all, to Meiningen and Eisenach, but gradually. From 1850 on, the town council consisted of Aschenhausen of three Christian and three Jewish members, and the deputy mayor until 1918 was always a Jewish community member. Due to the importance of emigration in 1929 lived only 10 older Jewish people in the village. The six still living in 1942 Aschenhausen Jews were deported to the Theresienstadt concentration camp and lost their lives there. Of those born in Aschenhausen and / or longer time on site resident Jewish people were 33 in the Nazi era died violently.
The council ash Stockhausen is composed of six council women and councilors, all from the constituency association of the SSV Aschenhausen originate (as of municipal elections on 27 June 2004 where also the honorary mayor Günther Rudloff was elected ).
Culture and sights
- The Protestant village church founded in 1602 by Balthasar Rab Speßhardt ( 1574-1612 ), whose remains rest in the crypt under the altar. The church is simply decorated with painted wooden parts as well as an organ - altar. It was restored in 1993.
- A testimony to the long Jewish settlement is the former synagogue, the oldest of the few Jewish houses of worship in southern Thuringia. In the Kristallnacht pogrom in 1938 tried SA men from Kaltennordheim, they set on fire, but were stopped by the local population in mind. The building had been sold in 1936 to a Christian residents, was used as a barn and would have brought in a fire, large parts of the village in danger. After 1989, major restoration, it is today a meeting place for people of all denominations, and there are guided tours offered.
- Also interesting is the Jewish cemetery at the foot of Leichelberges has about 150 grave stones quite well preserved ( Mazewa ). Relatives of a murdered in Łódź ( Lodz ) Jewish couple built after 1989 a memorial stone.
Economy and infrastructure
- At the village, the Meiningen - Kaltensundheim passes as a bypass road linking the B 19 and B 285 connects.
- The place has a bus stop on the bus route 411 bus operation of the Meiningen GmbH.
- Oskar von Wydenbrugk (October 7, 1815 in Aschenhausen, † June 9, 1876 in Kiefersfelden ), liberal politician
- Ferdinand Graf Wydenbruck (March 2, 1816 in Aschenhausen, † October 17, 1878 ), Statesman