Aston Martin DB4
The Aston Martin DB4 is a sports car, the Aston Martin 1958-1963 offered. It differs greatly from the DB Mark III, whom he replaced, even if its 3.7 -liter engine was developed from the 2.9 - liter engine of the predecessor. A total of 1185 pieces originated.
The engine of the Aston Martin DB4 with 3670 cc displacement, the Tadek Marek designed, is a 6 - cylinder in-line engine with aluminum engine block and cylinder head and two camshafts. The first copies overheated easily, but the 240 bhp (176 kW), which developed the version with twin SU carburetors, the buyer could forgive him those unsightly fad. Disc brakes were fitted to all four wheels; Dunlop early versions were later replaced by Girling copies. About a dry twin-disc clutch ( 25 were built gearbox with two clutch plates in it DB4. Ch.Nr. 847L is one of them) and a fully synchronized gearbox is to transmit the force to the rigid rear axle. The front wheels were suspended individually and provided with a rack and pinion steering.
The lightweight Superleggera aluminum body on a firmly attached to the platform frame made of steel sheet steel pipe skeleton designed Carrozzeria Touring in Milan, and their Italian appearance was a sensation when it was shown at the " London Motor Show" in 1958 for the first time. Although the design and construction of the body from Italy came, was the first of the DB4 Aston Martin, which was built in the new plants in Newport Pagnell.
There were 5 series of DB4; the most notable changes were the new window frames in the Series II and the introduction of a grille with cross bars (instead of honeycomb ) in the Series IV cars of the series V from 1962 have a longer and higher body for more interior space, but the wheel diameter was smaller, so that the total height of the vehicle remains the same. The vehicle front end V series had an aerodynamic appearance, which was later adopted for the DB5 models.
A convertible was introduced in 1962. It had a designed at Aston Martin styling that resembled that of the Coupé by Touring, and there was also a very rare hardtop. A total of 70 DB4 convertibles were produced; of the entire 1110 Series cars were built.
Developed from this type of DB4 GT Zagato models, the Lagonda Rapide and the successor DB5.
Model DB4 GT
The Aston Martin DB4 GT was a very lightweight and powerful version of the DB4. It was introduced in September 1959 and had to save other headlights and a thinner aluminum body weight. Some cars were also shipped without rear seats.
The engine, however, was the special feature of the GT: There was it with 3670 and 3750 cc capacity. He had dual ignition, two distributors and three Weber carburettors with dual choke. A modified cylinder head made for a compression ratio of 9:1, and the resulting power amounted to 302 bhp (222 kW). The car reached a top speed of 246 km / h and an acceleration of 6.2 seconds / 0-100 km / h
75 copies were built with this body and in addition the Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato as a separate model. A single car was also designed by Bertone and called " Bertone Jet".
Model DB4 Vantage
For the introduction of the Series IV 1961, a high-performance model Aston Martin DB4 Vantage was offered. It had three SU carburetors and special cylinder heads, so that it achieved an output of 266 bhp (196 kW). Most Vantage were also equipped with the headlights of the DB4 GT. Overall, there were 136 saloons and 32 convertibles with the Vantage engine.
Model DB4 Vantage GT
A small number of copies were not produced as a GT with the GT machine. This compilation is often called the Aston Martin DB4 Vantage GT, although not all have the " Vantage " outfit, and none was technically a "GT". Three Series III - copies, five Series IV - Series V specimens and six - copies had this unusual combination of body and engine for a total of 14 pieces.
- Mark Ewing: One Fine Lorry. In: Sports Car International., No. 6.9, 1990, pp. 28-30