Atmel Corporation is a U.S. manufacturer of integrated circuits based in San Jose, California and is considered one of the leading manufacturers in its field.
Atmel developed and produced in 1984 microcontroller (eg, the AVR family, and further developed 8051 controller with flash memory ), programmable logic circuits, non- volatile semiconductor memory, and mixed-signal and radio components since its foundation in the year. The products are marketed as standard products (commodities ), application specific standard products (ASSP ) or application specific integrated circuits (ASIC).
Atmel is currently led by Steven Laub ( CEO ) after the former president, CEO and founder George Perlegos was dismissed for alleged abuse of travel money.
Atmel has a semiconductor manufacturing facility:
- Fab5 in Colorado Springs (USA)
Five additional manufacturing facilities were sold by mid-2010:
- The production facility in Grenoble (France) was sold in July 2006 e2v Technologies (UK).
- The wafer manufacturing facility in Irving (USA) was sold in May 2007.
- Fab9 in North Tyneside (England) in May 2008 at TSMC, Ltd.. sold.
- Fab6 in Heilbronn ( Germany ) was founded in December 2008, Tejas Silicon Holdings ( UK) Ltd.. sold.
- Fab7 in Rousset (France) was sold to the LFoundry GmbH in July 2010.