The Auer Mountain is a mountain in Saxony with a height of 1019 meters above sea level. NN. It lies on the boundary Wildenthal close to the Czech border southeast of Eibenstock and northwest of Johann George town in the Ore Mountains.
Location and Geology
Administratively, the Auersberg belongs to Wildenthal, which is a district of Eibenstock since 1994. North of the Auer mountain is the dam Sosa. Below the summit is a parking lot. In the driveway to Auersberg of Johann George townspeople Sauschwemme district is crossed.
The Hauptgesteinsart is medium -grained granite, is included in the tourmaline. The dome and part of the eastern slope are covered with Andalusitglimmer in a 80 meter thick soil. In granite silver, tin and iron compounds are included beyond that were mined in the 16th century. At the peak of mining activity took place on Auersberg up to 300 pits. Besides the mentioned rocks are quartz and slate yet been demonstrated that occur in corridors around the peak position.
Flora of the mountain Auer
The slopes grow up mainly spruce and rowan. They make up almost to the top of a closed herd which its receipt is due also to the fact that the forests are under protection since the 1960s.
History of the observation tower on the mountain
Auerbergland area was a favorite hunting ground of Saxon princes and kings, especially the red deer and grouse nachstellten here.
The pastor Christian Gottlob Wild reported that even in 1800 was a climb to the Auersberg as an adventure. An already under Elector Johann Georg I of Saxony in the 17th century built because of the prospect wooden frame with several scales on the tower called Summit on lasted only a few decades and were in 1791 no longer exists. So in 1860 decided to bring the Royal Saxon State Forestry Administration, Granite stones on the mountain and covered the costs for the construction of a stone tower. The first observation tower in the Ore Mountains was inaugurated in 1860 and thus is the oldest stone lookout tower of the Ore Mountains. Primarily, the tower was used for monitoring forest fires and as a station of the Royal Saxon triangulation. In 1901, he was thoroughly structurally altered and raised to its present height of 18 m. 1940 finally got the viewing platform to protect a wooden hood.
In a display beginning of the 20th century, states: " The tower is open on Sundays and weekdays during the travel time. Admission 20 pennies. Tower guards Heidel Wildenthal. " This tower attracted many hikers who were supplied with food and drink during the week by the family blueberry, Sundays and public holidays by cutting Bach family. The food they carried up by carrying basket. The remains were kept in a secret hole in the ground and removed.
On November 9, 1907, to read in the press: " Devoted invitation to the consecration of Auersberg house, Sunday, November 10, from 11 clock, connected to the concert. ". The opening of a mountain hotel was due to initiatives of Erzgebirgsvereins. First mountain host was Albert Heinz followed him Max plate from Johann George Town and then gravel Karl Bauer.
On July 3, 1908 returned in accommodation house on Auersberg also King Friedrich August III. of Saxe -in. " The view from the tower of was magnificent ... The splendid forest! ' He exclaimed, when he saw before him the dark green sea ", the display newspaper reported on August 5, 1908. Exactly as he climbed many hikers and friends in home this time the mountain, so that the response was greater than expected.
Now, even the guest house was extended in 1914, perhaps because the king, who was in Wildenthal on August 24, 1912, was angered by the lack of space of the house.
During the Second World War there was an anti-aircraft position on the mountain. To better protect the airspace observation post from adverse weather conditions, the observation deck of the tower was a wooden sheath.
Until the mid -1950s was in the hostel accommodation Haus Ernst Schneller, which had been laid by Johann George city due to uranium mining after the war here. The mountain inn went on in the 1960s in the administration of the HO who managed him as a mountain hotel.
As of August 1983, the Ministry for State Security of the GDR erected a little below the summit, a radar station. Construction of the plant was not until November 1985 and was from then on due to the dome popularly referred to as " Stasi Mosque ". As failed after German reunification plans of the municipality Wildenthal for the redevelopment as a Stasi Museum or even as a youth hostel, had in the 1990s, the DFS ( German Air Traffic Control ) remodel the building and uses it since then for the SREM radar system Auersberg. Each of the six nationwide facilities has an effective radius of about 145 NM ( nautical miles equivalent to 270 km).
In the years 1992-1994 the tower and the Auersberg House of the municipality Wildenthal been extensively renovated and true to style with extensive funding from the State of Saxony. The distributors since the incorporation of Wildenthal owned the mountain town of Eibenstock mountain inn Auersberg is regarded as the highest hotel in Saxony.
On July 13, 2011 have been opened in the presence of the district administrator of Erzgebirgskreises the bilingual ( German - Czech) trail " mountain forest garden Auersberg ".
At the eastern foot of the mountain Auer were up to a fire in the late 19th century, the Auersberger houses.
Way to the summit
The shortest rise of Wildenthal on the Auer mountain peak is called The popular Schlangenweg and, in six switchbacks and at the toboggan run along up. Another possibility is to use the road towards Upper Wildenthal, then on past the cemetery and over the center wing on the top. The third option is called zigzag and leads from the center of the village towards the serpentine.
By car only the car park can be approached from the summit.