He studied in Paderborn, Münster and Berlin. In Berlin, he worked as a librarian. He is known by two reference works which Regesta Pontificum Romanorum 1198-1304 (Berlin, 1874-1895 ), and the Bibliotheca Historica Medii Aevi. Guide through the histories of the European Middle Ages to 1500 (1862, 2nd ed Berlin 1896), the predecessor of the repertory Fontium Historiae Medii Aevi. From 1874 to 1894 he was librarian of the German Reichstag.
In Paderborn, recalls the August Potthast - way to him.
- The origin of the Decker -Rudolf Ludwig Decker family. R. v. Decker -Verlag, Berlin, 1863
- History of printing in Berlin in outline, hrg. Ernst Crous. Berlin ( Berlin club Buchdruckerei owners ) bush stone, Berlin 1926, 113 pp.
- Catalogue of the library of the German Reichstag, publishing Puttkammer & Mühlbrecht, Berlin 1882, S. 1432
- Life of St. Gallus and Otmar of the abbot of St. Gallen ( translator's A. Potthast ), 1857 86 p
- History of the former Cistercienserabtei Rauden in Upper Silesia, Bauer, Leobschutz, 1858, 308 pp.
- Friedrich Wilhelm III. King of Prussia, memory leaves [ ... ] Publishing Decker, Berlin 1871, 71 pp.
- Initienverzeichnis to August Potthast, Regesta Pontificum Romanorum ( 1198-1304 ). Compiled by Hans Martin Schaller. 1978 ISBN 3-921575-10-9