Augustin Pyramus de Candolle
Augustin- de Pyrame Candolle, Augustin Pyramus de Candolle also ( born February 4, 1778 in Geneva, † September 9, 1841 ) was a Swiss botanist and naturalist. Its official botanical author abbreviation is " DC. ".
Life and work
Augustin- de Candolle Pyrame was the son of Augustin de Candolle, a banker and magistrate, and of Louise - Eléonore Brière. He first graduated in medicine in Paris, which he completed in 1804. He studied biology at Georges Cuvier and Jean -Baptiste de Lamarck and carried out work for this. In 1807 he was one of the nine founding members of the Société d' Arcueil. In 1808 he became professor of botany at the Faculty of Sciences in Montpellier, where he also headed the Botanical Gardens. In 1816 he returned to Geneva, where he had a Department of Botany and Zoology at the University of Geneva until 1834. He founded in 1817 the first botanical garden in Geneva (Jardin botanique des Bastions ). He was from 1830 to 1832 Rector of the University of Geneva. He was from 1816 to 1841 a member of the Geneva Cantonal Parliament.
To contemporaries, who influenced him greatly, including Alexander von Humboldt, Georg Ludwig Koeler, Jean -Baptiste de Lamarck and Georges Cuvier. His publications include the Historia Plantarum Succulentarum ( Histoire des plantes grasses, 1799-1803 ) and Théorie de la botanique élémentaire (1813 ), in which he presented a new system for classifying plants. He is one of the most important botanists of his century and has, among other things Adventivfloristik significantly affected.
On July 18, 1807 Candolle climbed along with his local guide Simon Faure was the first to Pic de Montcalm in the Pyrenees.
In 1802 he married Anne -Françoise Torras ( 1782-1854 ). The couple had three children: Amella Louise (1803-1804), Alphonse Louis Pierre Pyrame, who was also a botanist and in 1835 took over his chair, and Benjamin Charles François ( 1812-1825 ).
In 1818 he was elected a member of the Scholars Academy Leopoldina. The Royal Society awarded him in 1833 with the Royal Medal.
Writings (selection )
- Histoire des plantes grasses (1799-1803, German partial translation 1981)
- Monograph of the Astra Gales (1802 )
- Essai sur les propriétés médicinales des plantes comparées avec leurs formes extérieures et leur classification naturelle ( Habilitation thesis, 1804, German translation of the 2nd edition 1818).
- Assisting in the revision of the " Flore française " by Lamarck ( 1300 species added, 1805),
- Catalogus Plantarum Horti Botanici monspeliensis. 1813 online
- Élémentaire Théorie de la botanique (1813, German translation 1814 to 1815 )
- Essai de élémentaire géographie botanique (1820 )
- Prodromus systematis naturalis regni vegetabilis ( first 7 volumes, 1824-1841 ), online
- Revue de la Famille of Cactées. In: Memoires du Museum d' Histoire Naturelle. Volume 17, 1828, pp. 1-119, 21 boards, online.
- Memoire sur quelques espèces de cactées, nouvelles ou peu connues. Treuttel & Würtz, Paris 1834 online.