The French community Aumont -Aubrac, situated in the Lozere department in the Languedoc- Roussillon region, and is the capital of the canton of the same name. Its 1104 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) Aumonais call themselves. In the local language, Occitan language mean the place Aoumou. It lies on the GR 65, which largely follows the historical course of the French Road to Santiago Via Podiensis.

Geography and transport

Aumont -Aubrac lies in the Massif Central on the edge of the Aubrac towards margin Ride. The next major French cities are Lyon ( 168 km) to the northeast, Toulouse ( 192 km) to the southwest Bordeaux (306 miles) to the west and Montpellier ( 132 km) to the southeast. The nearest commercial airport is Rodez - Marcillac, which is served, including the Air France and Ryanair. About the D987 it is about 96 road miles away. Aumont -Aubrac can be achieved by regional train, or from the Clermont -Ferrand train stations or Millau by bus. Aumont -Aubrac, situated on the A75 motorway, where it is crossed by the D987.


The place is located at the intersection of two historical Roman roads and therefore had significance as a trading center. Today makes Aumont -Aubrac, Aubrac, the gateway to a rather sleepy impression. To the Abbey of St- Etienne, which originated at the beginning of the 12th century, created in the Middle Ages a modest settlement. The counts of Peyre here could be to build a town house. At times, Aumont -Aubrac was the county town of Gevaudan.

Way of St. James ( Via Podiensis )

In Aumont -Aubrac, there are next to the tourist information for hotels, Restaurants, and several pilgrims' hostels (French gîte d' étape ). In addition, the town has a railway connection. The Way of St. James continues across the hamlet of La Chaze -de- Peyre and Rieutort- d'Aubrac in the nearest large town, Nasbinals on the Aubrac. The direct road to get there is the D987.


  • The church of Saint -Etienne was part of is former Benedictine monastery founded in the year 1061. Despite many changes in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries the Romanesque choir and several Gothic side chapels are preserved.
  • Fortified houses from the 17th and 18th centuries, the arcades with glass niches show the ground floor, in which either a swastika or the trigram JHS (Latin for Jesus hominum Salvator, dt Jesus, Savior of the people ) can be seen.