The County of Avon from 1974 to 1996, a county in the west of England, named after the River Avon flowing through the county.
Avon in 1975, formed out of the city and the county of Bristol and parts of the counties of Gloucestershire and Somerset. The county had six districts: Bristol, Bath, Northavon, Kingwood, Spring Wood and Wansdyke. To the north it bordered on Gloucestershire, Wiltshire to the east and to the south by Somerset. In the west they bordered on the Bristol Channel.
The county had an area of 1347 km ² and 919 800 inhabitants ( 1991). Among the cities and towns were Bristol, Bath, Weston -super- Mare, Yate, Clevedon, Radstock and Midsomer Norton, Bradley Stoke, Nailsea, Yatton, Keynsham and Thornbury.
The County of Avon, however, enjoyed no great popularity. The inhabitants of Bristol regretted the loss of the County title, and the inhabitants of the former Gloucestershire and Somerset dependent territories felt cut off from their traditional counties.
In 1996, the County of Avon was abolished and divided into four unitary authorities: The City and County of Bristol, South Gloucestershire (formerly Kingswood and Northavon ), North Somerset (previously Woodspring ) and Bath and North East Somerset (formerly Bath and Wansdyke ).
As before, however, there is a common fire service and other shared organizations.
- English county
- Geography (South West England)