Avram Iancu (Alba)
Avram Iancu ( until 1924 Vidra de Sus, Hungarian Felsővidra, German upper Vidra ) is a town in Alba county in Transylvania, Romania.
The community in the northwest of Alba County in the ARIESUL Mic, a source flow of Aries, consists of 33 villages and many small hamlets. With a total of about 1800 inhabitants, the municipality covers an area of 9740 hectares. 24 km from Câmpeni and about 100 kilometers north- west of the county capital Alba Iulia, the place is surrounded by woods in the center of the Apuseni Mountains and is a starting point for the Găină Mountains. He is a center of historical Pimp country.
The place Vidra, which includes the Iancu Avram today, was first documented in 1595. At that time he was part of the Principality of Transylvania. Later they took the villages in the valley of Ariesului Mic together under the name Raul Mic. The entity of the present village was the first time in 1839 under the names Felső - Vidra or Vidra gyin Szusz officially on record. A non- official mention of Vidra de Sus was, however, already in 1739 as part of a donation. Residents Avram Iancus dealt mainly with long agriculture (especially cattle ) and mining. 1824 here the popular hero of the Transylvanian Romanian Revolution of 1848, Avram Iancu was born. In an Austrian publication of 1863 Felső - Vidra is represented as the handsomest village throughout the region. After the First World War the place of Austria - Hungary came to Romania. He initially kept the official Romanian name Vidra de Sus. To mark the 100th birthday of Avram Iancu, the community was renamed in honor of folk hero, and was given its present name.
The population is as follows:
- "Casa Iancului ", an old wooden house with a shingle roof, built in the early 19th century by Avram Iancus father, Alisandri Iancu, was converted into a museum in 1924 and declared a National Monument.
- The bust Avram Iancus, erected in 1968 in the town center next to the school, is a listed building.