Barre (town), Vermont
Barre is a town in Washington County of the State of Vermont in the United States with 7,924 inhabitants ( according to the census of 2010) ..
Declared on 6 November 1780 that the name Wilder Burgh, the Town quickly developed into a well-developed pasture and farmland. The fertile soil and good irrigation of the county of promoted alongside the usual agricultural products on the one hand, the cattle and sheep ( for 1840, 2,826 cattle and 8,997 sheep recorded ), on the other hand treated the construction of water mills, the grafted these products and. Even on a heavy wool combing is documented for 1840; then no matter of course in Vermont.
Residents of the town, however, did not like the name of their town. So they came in 1793 agreed to change the name. A town hall meeting convened for that purpose, but no results. Two proposals, each of the places of origin of two respected citizen, remained equal voting left at the end. The decision was finally precipitated by a boxing match; the winner certain the name Barre (after Barre, Massachusetts). than the new name of the town Since October 19, 1793 this is the official name of the municipality. The administrative structure of the county was already half a year earlier, on 11 March 1793 set up.
In the predominantly gently undulating landscape were two large granite rocks from the beginning eye: Cobble hill and Millstone hill. Both rock climb about 140 meters from their environment up and consist of a very finely structured, light gray granite. A number of quarries was built on these blocks, whose production rapidly in Vermont and - after 1850, the railroad reached the town - known throughout the United States and became popular. Thus, for example, the State house in nearby Montpellier, the seat of government of Vermont, completely built from the granite of these quarries.
The quarries proved in the following decades as a magnet for immigrants from various European countries, so that in Barre to one the number of inhabitants rose sharply (from about 2,000 in 1840 to around 10,000 in 1880 ), on the other hand specialists such as sculptors and stone crushers were in the town preferred sedentary. Barre was thus the center of the granite production of Vermont and an important supplier for the entire USA.
Population growth led in 1895 to the founding of Barre City as a spin-off of the biggest settlement core of the town as self- managed community.
With the economic slump caused by the global economic crisis of 1929, the market collapsed for high quality granite together. The quarries were mostly shot; today is only a single one in permanent operation: the Rock of Ages. Some other quarries are taken as needed in operation; the number of salaried workers in the quarries has dropped to 79. Today, the predominant industry is again in agriculture; but even today there are still many stone processing plants and sculptor in the City and the Town settled. Some medium-sized businesses as well as a car factory of the company Bombardier are favored by the proximity of the economic center Montpelier and also settle here.
Barre, the City and the Town, are several highways, including U.S. Highway 302, the Edward F. Knapp State Airport and the New England Central Railroad, which operates a joint station for Barre and Montpelier and operated daily on a long-distance train, developed. In the Town all the major Christian denominations in New England are represented by their own communities.
Additional data for Barre Village, which in 1895 was raised to the independent community Barre City: 1880: 1.025 inhabitants, 1890: 4.146 inhabitants. Source: see table.
All information bee-line distances.
- North: East Montpelier, 10.0 km
- Northeast: Groton, 21.5 km
- East: Ryegate, 33.5 km
- Southeast: Orange, 9.0 km
- South: Williamstown, 9.0 km
- Southwest: Northfield, 12.5 km
- West: Fayston, 28.0 km
- Northwest: Montpelier, 9.0 km