Melton was mainly known by his nickname, The Fish. He was a founding member and guitarist of the group Country Joe and the Fish. He participated in all the Country Joe and the Fish albums and wrote several songs for the band. He appeared with the band at the Monterey Pop on and Woodstock Festival.
After the dissolution of Country Joe and the Fish Melton pursued their own projects and took on some solo albums. In the early 1980s, he also founded the psychedelic supergroup The Dinosaurs.
1977, he had an album to a brief reunion of Country Joe and the Fish. Even later, he joined occasionally together with his former partner Country Joe McDonald. The collaboration never resulted in a shared disk recording.
Since the 1980s, Barry Melton works full time as a lawyer in California. Nevertheless, he is still seen occasionally along with other well-known West Coast musicians on stage. In 2004 and 2005 he toured in Europe. Melton is married and has two sons.
- Bright Sun Is Shining ( Vanguard 1969)
- Melton, Levi & The Dey Brothers (Columbia 1972)
- The Fish ( United Artists 1975)
- We Are Like The Ocean ( Music Is Medicine 1978)
- Level With Me ( Rag Baby 1979)
- Songs Of The Next Great Depression ( Rag Baby 1981)
- The Saloon Years ( live recordings from 1982 to 1994 ) ( Saloon 1997)