Bass Rock, and The Bass, is a now uninhabited island off the coast of Scotland East Lothian area in the south east of the Firth of Forth, which consists essentially of a giant solitary rock, which is about 2 kilometers from the coast. The rock is a relic of the volcanic activity in the Carboniferous and consists of phonolite.
Bass Rock is the site of a lighthouse from 1902, which was built according to the plans of the engineer David Alan Stevenson ( 1854-1938 ). The island is home to one of the largest gannet colonies and is a nature reserve. The Northern Gannet ( Morus bassanus ) owes its name to the island. The colony on the island was first mentioned in the mid 12th century in documents. The birds were then called Solan Goose and served as a food source.
In addition to the gannets come on the rock before fulmars, puffins, kittiwakes, shags, guillemots and razorbills.
The earliest known owner of the island were members of the Lauder of The Bass family who resided there. According to the traditions they are the island of Malcolm III. have received.
In 1497 the Scottish King James IV visited a castle on the island. In the 17th century, the castle became a prison.
- Renate and Achim Kostrzewa: Scotland with England and Wales. In: Travel guide to nature. BLV Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, Munich 1994, ISBN 3405145090, p 199