Basse -Terre (French for Lower Country ) is the capital of the Caribbean island and French overseas department of Guadeloupe. It has 11,730 inhabitants ( 1 January 2011) and is located at the foot of the active volcano Soufriere, at the mouth of the Rivière aux Herbes, in the southwest of the island of the same part of Basse- Terre.
The city is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Basse- Terre.
The colonization of the area of today's Basse -Terre began after 1640 with the Caribs of the region peace was concluded and Charles Houël, governor of Guadeloupe, on the Rivière aux Herbes settled. From 1650 he was in the south of the city, the Fort Louis Delgrès ( formerly Fort Saint- Charles) build, which protected the city governor. Today, in the shadow of Pointe -à- Pitre, Basse -Terre is still the seat of the Parliament overseas departments of Guadeloupe.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Joseph Boulogne (1745-1799), French violinist, composer and conductor
- Marie -José Perec, French track and field athlete and Olympic champion