The municipality covers 28 km ². It is located about 150 km southeast of Florence and about 15 km southeast of Perugia on the rivers and Chiascio Tescio.
The districts include Bastiola, Cipresso, Costano, Ospedalicchio and San Lorenzo.
First mentioned is the place in 1053 as Insula Romana ( Roman island) in a document of Peter Damiani. The name Insula Romana kept the place until the 14th century. Due to its location between Assisi and Perugia, the place came often in the fighting which, with the congregation from 1319 began to Assisi and Perugia, the soldiers prevented seven months on their march to Assisi in the same year. After the defeat of the town was destroyed, but provided briefly built later and with a city wall and seventeen towers ( bastions ). The present name is derived from these bastions. 1419 Bastia was taken by Braccio da Montone, but returned a short time later under the rule of Assisi. From 1431 to 1580 was under the location of the Baglioni family, then the Boncompagni. 1614 created Bastia his statutes, thus reaching the autonomy until 1808, when Napoleon occupied with his soldiers Umbria and thus Bastia. After the defeat of the French troops in 1816, the congregation remained until 1861 the Papal States, in order then to be after the Risorgimento of Italy. The name suffix Umbra is since 1926 an official part of the place name Bastia, to distinguish themselves from other places of the same name.
- Chiesa di Santa Croce collegiata, church built in 1295th
- Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo, Church, contains the work " Polyptych Sant'Angelo " by Nicolò Alunno from the year 1499th
- Chiesa di San Paolo delle Abbadesse, church from the 12th century.
- Ponte sul Chiascio historic bridge built in 1548 over the River Chiascio at the confluence with the Tescio.
- Porta Sant'Angelo, city gate from the 13th century.
- Rocca baglionesca, fortress and from 1431 till the 16th century family home of the Baglioni.
- Since 1962 is held in honor of the patron saint of the end of September Palio de San Michele held a Palio, where the four districts ( Rioni ) attend the historic town center ( Moncioveta, Portella, San Rocco and Sant'Angelo ).
Sons and daughters of the town
- Pino Lancetti, couturiers and designers
- Hochberg, Germany, since 1990
- Karancslapujto, small area Salgótarján, Hungary, since 2004
- Luz -Saint -Sauveur, Hautes -Pyrenees, France, since 1998
- Sant Sadurní d' Anoia, Spain