Baturyn (Ukrainian Батурин; Russian Батурин / Baturin ) is an urban-type settlement in the northern Ukrainian Oblast Chernihiv ( Rajon Bakhmach ) with 3,078 inhabitants (December 5, 2001). The place is situated on the left bank of the river Sejm.
The settlement said to have originated from a fortification, which had built the Grand Prince of Chernihiv there. It is first mentioned by name Baturyn in documents from the 17th century. In 1648 it became the regional center of a Cossack unit ( sotnja ) after the Cossacks of Poland-Lithuania had renounced. Between 1669 and 1708 Baturyn was the capital of the Hetmanate, an autonomous Cossack Republic, which was connected to the Russian Empire.
Under the rule of the Ataman Ivan Mazepa the place quickly grew to 20,000 people. At that time Baturyn had 40 churches and chapels, two convents and a college for civil servants and diplomats. During the Great Northern War, in which the Cossacks. Against the Russians with Sweden under Charles XII had joined the city was destroyed by the Russian army under Menshikov up on the ground. This should have lost the lives of about 6,000 inhabitants and defenders.
The place was recurrent built only in the 1750s and was under the Hetman Kyrylo Hryhorowytsch Rosumowskyj once again the capital of a Hetmanate, to the Russian Empress Catherine the Great in 1764 dissolved the Cossack state. After the death Rosumowskyjs the place lost its importance, so it is a small settlement today, whose inhabitants live mainly from agriculture. Renovated in 2009, the Baroque palace Rosumowskyjs (architect Antonio Rinaldi ) is still present.