Bauhaus Museum, Weimar
The Bauhaus Museum gives an insight into the art of the early 20th century in Weimar, in whose center is the Bauhaus. The museum displays about 250 exhibits of teachers and students of the major art school, including pioneering works of Walter Gropius, Johannes Itten, Lyonel Feininger and Marcel Breuer. The School of Applied Arts Henry van de Velde, founded in 1907 as a precursor of the Bauhaus, is also represented by numerous works. The museum is located since 1995 in the designed by Clemens Wenceslaus Coudray former carriage house at the Theatre Square. The building has since been only a temporary, and includes parts of the ruins of the former Weimar armory with a.
Starting point and USP are the historical collections of the Weimar Classics Foundation for the prehistory, history and after-effects of Staatliches Bauhaus, which was founded in 1919 in Weimar. The collection inventory has grown tremendously through purchases and donations since 1990. With the Gropius- collection the Classic Foundation has also the oldest ever existing Bauhaus stock.
The Bauhaus Museum Weimar conveyed with more than 300 exhibits an insight into the development of the State Bauhaus in Weimar its founding place. The reputation of this genera -border, international school of art, architecture, design, and theater has more than 70 years after its closure undiminished worldwide.
The educational, artistic, architectural and design ideas of the Bauhaus shine even today in the whole world. Many of these pioneering concepts were pre-thought for Weimar. The presentation at the Bauhaus Museum displays works by Walter Gropius, the founding director of the Bauhaus, as well as famous Bauhaus masters such as Lyonel Feininger, Gerhard Marcks, Johannes Itten and Paul Klee. In addition, numerous student works, including works by Marcel Breuer or Alma Siedhoff - Buscher, are presented which demonstrate the practical training at the Bauhaus excellent.
Numerous objects exhibited illustrate the complexity, creativity and vitality of the school's activity in Weimar. Based on the manifesto and program of the Bauhaus the Bauhaus masters developed a new teaching program with the preliminary course of Itten, shapes and color theory of Klee and Kandinsky, and training in various workshops. The workshop principle, the practical craftsmanship and artistic training of an average of 150 students, was as characteristic as the teamwork of teachers and students of the Bauhaus. The transition from handicraft single to prototype for the industry in 1922, according to the motto of Gropius " art and technology - a new unity ", documented in the Bauhaus Museum which produced up to now design classics such as the Bauhaus chess by Josef Hartwig, the table lamp by Carl Jacob Jucker and Wilhelm Wagenfeld or metalwork by Marianne Brandt.
Another focus of future exhibition is the presentation of the collection Ludewig, the 1524 objects, the development of the issues around the development of functional Visual Design in Germany 1780-1835, in England with the industrialization and the Arts and Crafts movement and the development in Germany, Austria and Belgium allows in time from 1895 to 1914. In addition, objects of modernity after the First World War, the International Modern after 1945 and the style of the "New Minimalism" was issued.
Through a special investment program of the federal government and the state of Thuringia the construction of a new Bauhaus Museum in Weimar is possible. Thus, a major project of the Master Plan Kosmos Weimar is launched.
It was awarded by the Foundation Board of the Foundation of Weimar Classics and the City of Weimar an open international architectural competition. 2,189 architects from 60 countries had registered for the competition. 2,039 applications came from 32 European countries, including 1,151 from Germany and 70 from Thuringia.
The international competition was the architect Heike Hanada won in collaboration with Benedict Tonon. The design positions a minimalist cube as geometrically simple body building on the outskirts of Weimar Hall Park. The facade of the building is made of poured concrete and divided by horizontal glass bands which are interrupted by black stripe. At around 2,250 square meters, the exhibition stocks will accommodate.
The building is mediated by its position between the historic Weimarhallenpark, the adjacent congress centrum neue weimarhalle and the adjacent urban situation with the Gauforum incurred in 1937 and a north adjacent apartment buildings from the late 1920s. Along with the New Museum, the City Museum and the exhibition Gauforum formed the place a new cultural center in Weimar.
For 2014 preliminary and draft planning are planned to be capable of planning permission. The construction is scheduled to begin immediately after the required urban construction on the site of what is planned for late 2015.