Beaucaire is a municipality with 15.894 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011 ) in France and is located in the department of Gard, in the Languedoc- Roussillon region. The inhabitants call themselves Beaucairois.
Beaucaire is located on the eastern boundary of the department of Gard, on the right bank of the Rhone. On the opposite bank the Tarascon already in the department of Bouches -du -Rhône is located. Just Above Beaucaire ends of the Gardon as a right tributary of the Rhône. In Beaucaire and the Canal du Rhône à Sète, was originally connected via a lock by the Rhône begins. In channeling work of the Rhône, this connection was interrupted. Today we reached the channel on the Petit Rhône at Saint- Gilles. Nevertheless Beaucaire has a nicely -developed marina on the canal, which is intensively used for water tourism with sports and houseboats.
Neighboring municipalities are:
- Jonquières -Saint -Vincent
Beaucaire was founded in the 7th century BC as " Ugernum ", and was after the conquest of southern France by the Romans and the construction of the Via Domitia, the Roman road that connected Italy and Spain, at the junction of this road over the Rhône. In the 13th century a wooden bridge over the Rhone is mentioned, probably to the 19th century, the southernmost bridge in front of the mouth.
In the Middle Ages the upswing of the town was slowed by invasions of the Burgundians, Goths and Saracens. A city wall was built, and a castle, which at that time was the most powerful strongholds of southern France. During the Albigensian Crusade it was conquered by the Crusaders of Simon IV de Montfort, but later by the Provencal under the leadership of Raymond VII, Count of Toulouse, recaptured. Richelieu had the castle destroyed in 1632. Large parts of the plant such as the tower and a chapel, were preserved and were asked in 1845 under monument protection.
Beaucaire was endpoint of one of the first railway lines in France, Arles- Nîmes - Beaucaire, opened on 19 August 1848.
Foire de la Madeleine
Achieved historic importance Beaucaire through its annual trade fair, the " Foire de la Madeleine ". It was first mentioned in 1168 and favored by its strategic location on the Rhônemündung and the trade routes between Italy and Spain, it was for centuries one of the most important marketplaces in Europe. Historical reportedly met every year from 22 to 28 July to 300,000 dealers from across the country, but especially from the Mediterranean and the Orient. In thousands of tents around Beaucaire and along the Rhone goods of all kinds were traded. It is estimated that in one weeks 20-25 million transactions were completed, and that the trading volume was greater than that of the port of Marseille throughout the year. The resulting wealth of the inhabitants coined soon extended to the always splendid nascent architecture. Only the arrival of the railroad and the decline of trade on the river ended the heyday of the place and rushed Beaucaire back into anonymity.
See also: List of Monuments historiques in Beaucaire
- Beaucaire Castle (11th century)
- City Hall ( 1680 )
- Notre Dame des Pommiers ( Collegiate Church, 1734-1744, with a Roman frieze on the east side, 12th century )
- Saint Paul ( former chapel of a Franciscan monastery, 14th and 15th centuries )
- Hôtel de Clausonnette ( city palace to 1745)
- Roy Hôtel de Lédignan ( city palace, 17th century )
- Hôtel Dulong ( Mansion, early 16th century)
- Abbey of Saint - Roman