Beaumont is a city in the southeast of the U.S. state of Texas, United States, is the county seat ( county seat ) of Jefferson County. Beaumont is located at Port Arthur and Orange in the Golden Triangle, a major industrial area on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.
Business / Education
The city grew rapidly after the beginning of 1901 the first oil wells were opened up. The main industries today are oil refineries, chemical factories and paper mills. In earlier periods major lines of business, such as rice cultivation and Holz-/Sägewerke, lost in the 20th century in importance.
Beaumont is the seat of Lamar University. The city is conveniently located off Interstate 10, there is a regional airport. The harbor (Port Arthur) is 17 miles away.
Beaumont is the seat of the Diocese of Beaumont.
Beaumont is located in an area with a subtropical climate with mild winters and hot and humid summers. The region is an endangered by hurricane area. In September 2005, Beaumont suffered heavy destruction caused by Hurricane Rita.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Benny Barnes, country musician
- Julie Bell, illustrator and bodybuilder
- John Barnes Chance, composer
- Mark Chesnutt, country singer
- Robert Laurel Crippen, astronaut
- Walt Davis, basketball player and Olympic champion in high jump
- Larry Graham, Jr., singer, musician, songwriter and music producer
- Irma P. Hall, Actress
- Thomas Gordon Hartley, botanist
- Brian Herrington, composer and music educator
- Barbara Lynn, singer, guitarist and song writer
- George Pratt, cartoonist, illustrator, artist and author
- Frank Robinson, Baseball Player
- Billie Jo Spears, country singer
- Helen Vinson, actress
- Jay Wade Poole, horn player, composer and university teacher
- Clay Walker, country singer
- Edgar Winter, musician
- Johnny Winter, blues guitarist