Bedford was a subsidiary of the British car manufacturer Vauxhall Motors, which in turn is subsidiary of the American General Motors Group.
Bedford was established in 1930 as a commercial vehicle manufacturer, as the import of trucks due to the global economic crisis was no longer worthwhile. In 1990, the brand name of Bedford was abandoned in favor of Vauxhall.
Bedford dealt in Hendon and Luton with the construction of vans, light trucks and buses, who found a very wide spread in the UK and Ireland. Among the special features included floats the British Milk, milk literally rafts, vans, with which the households were supplied with fresh milk every morning. These Bedford had a high market share. Also, fire engines and ambulances were derived from the different models. The first Bedford were copies of the successful American Chevrolet trucks. During the Second World War Bedford produced the Churchill tanks.
From 1958 Bedford produced a 4 -ton front Hauber, which was sold under the name TJ. It was technically an evolution of the truck sold as the Opel Blitz in Germany with full front plate, the diesel and gasoline engines and later with heavier loads than flatbed, dump trucks, vans, tankers, ambulances and fire vehicles found use in various versions until 1967. After the modernized variant of the model was given the names J2, J3, J4, J5 and J6, which was also offered by the Australian Holden sister until the 1970s. She is still in Pakistan, also in the Pakistani army, very widespread, because the company SKD 1950-1972 buses and trucks of Bedford assembled in Pakistan.
Bedford produced many years known from the American GM program van CF, which was sold in Germany in the 1970s under the name of Opel Bedford Blitz in allusion to the set truck of the German manufacturer. In the class from 7.5 to 10.2 tonnes GVW Bedford made distinctive cab-over trucks in Flatbed and Tipper version, but also with box body not only in the UK and Ireland, but also in Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Australia and Hong Kong distribution found. Also in the British Army this truck type was widespread. 1975 tried the GM Group under the Opel brand developing its own truck organization temporarily over fifty dealers for the distribution of these trucks in Germany, which were manufactured in England by " German Code" with more comfort, but this attempt failed.
In 1986, the production of truck at Bedford was terminated. The factory in Dunstable went over to AWD, but survived only five years. The factory in Luton was reorganized as a joint venture with Isuzu. To this end, the company changed its name to IBC Vehicles and produced a European version of the Isuzu MU Wizard, which was called Frontera. To this end, a broad variety of box and vans that were based on Renault - licenses have been sold under the brand names Vauxhall and Opel in Europe.
General Motors finally bought in 1998 Isuzu out of the joint venture and moved the production of the SUV Frontera to Ellesmere Port.
- Bedford Rascal
- Bedford HA
- Bedford CA
- Bedford CF Bedford Blitz
- Bedford Dormobile
- Bedford Chevanne
- Bedford KB
- Bedford Midi
- Bedford Astravan
- Bedford Astramax
- Bedford Beagle
- Bedford QL
- Bedford WLG
- Bedford TJ
- Bedford RL
- Bedford TK / MK
- Bedford OY
- Bedford OX
- Bedford TM
- Bedford MS / ML / MJ
- Green Goddess
- Bedford D series
- Bedford S series
Bedford began the production of buses in 1931. Bedford case presented mostly Chassis ago that were provided by various body corporate with superstructures. Such a separation between the chassis and body manufacturers was common in the United Kingdom until the 1980s. Through them, the buses could be better adapted to the specific requirements of the respective operators. Some vehicles were also equipped as a mobile lending libraries, cinemas, vans and other specialized tasks. The bodies for chassis from Bedford were mostly made by the resident in Hornsey Duple Coachbuilders. Bedford specialized from the outset in the production of smaller and lighter chassis. Bedford was also a pioneer in the development of mini and midi buses, even if these categories ultimately established itself on the market only successful in the 1980s and in large numbers.
Based on the light-duty truck Bedford WLG originated from 1931, the buses Bedford WHB and WLB with a short or long wheelbase. The truck, in turn, was based on a design from Chevrolet. During the short WLB to 1933 only 102 copies were made , were built from 1892 to 1935 WTB. Motorised buses were also produced with a Bedford -six petrol engine with 3,177 l capacity.
The Bedford produced from 1932 WS was a light truck chassis (30 cwt corresponds to about 1.5 t). A few vehicles were provided with bus bodies. Equipped with the same engine as the WLB / WTB, the rear axle was simply frosted.
After successfully established WTB Bedford produced from 1934 to Bedford WTL and WTB. The driver's seat was moved forward to make room for more passengers. Originally equipped with the same engine as the WLB, later, an uprated version for use. During WTL was initially based on the unchanged truck chassis, the chassis of the WTB was modified for use as a bus.
The Bedford ML, introduced in 1939, was also a light truck chassis, the 2- ton class. Also here were a few cars and bus bodies were mainly used as school buses. Also, the similar but slightly lighter (30 cwt) Bedford K was used as the basis for buses, especially for the traffic that used. Both chassis were on the rear axle as the WS simply frosted.
In 1939, Bedford presented the Bedford OB. For the first time the chassis was designed specifically for a bus. The arrangement of the gearbox, drive shaft and differential, a lowered center aisle could be realized in the bus. From the type of only 73 pieces were produced before 1942, the production was switched to the simplified version of OWB. After 1945, production of the OB was again taken up. Until 1951 more than 16,000 vehicles, most of them with the Vista building Duple for 27 to 29 seats.
The 1950 presented Bedford SB should replace the OB but was associated with 33 to 41 seats ( depending on version) for most operators to large. With a synchronized five-speed gearbox and several optional offered petrol and diesel engines, he also technically an important development step dar. The bus was, though last only built in small numbers until the end of production at Bedford in 1987, in 1955 with a longer wheelbase. The chassis was the first chassis of Bedford, which was designed for a front handlebar assembly.
In order to provide a successor to the successful OB and to close the gap to the larger SB, Bedford built from 1957 to 1961 the Bedford C, which was scheduled for vehicles with 29/30 seats. For the guy various engine variants were available.
From 1958 to 1976 Bedford produced the J2, a lightweight chassis for buses with 20 seats. The buses were equipped with either a six -cylinder petrol or a four-cylinder diesel engine. This type can be regarded as one of the first midi-buses, even though this categorization was not common at the time.
Due to the situated between the axles front door of the SB for the established in the 1960s, one-man operation without Schaffner was only partially suitable. With the VA series Bedford introduced a modern chassis, where the front door was placed in the front overhang. However, the engine was mounted in front is still standing on the frame. First published in 1961, the short version Bedford VAS that finally replaced the OB for many operators, 1962, the long version Bedford VAL; and 1965, followed by the medium version Bedford VAM. The Bedford VAL attention especially because of the dual, steerable front axle - a concept that Leyland had already realized in 1932 with the Leyland Gnu.
While all built up to this point, of Bedford chassis classic designs with ladder frame and front mounted engine were developed with the Bedford Y series first time in 1970 a chassis with an under floor arranged between the motor axes. The bus was manufactured with different engines, including engines with turbocharger and lengths from 8.5 to 12 m, the maximum authorized mass was placed 11400-14500 kg.
Developed on the basis of the Bedford CF between 1979 and 1982 about 234 minibuses Bedford CFL with 17 seats; the bodies came from Reeve Burgess. However, the acquaintance was built in a quantity of only 34 copies of Plaxton Mini Supreme.
Also In 1979, the Bedford Bedford JJL, which was, however, built only four times. The midi bus with 24 seats was obviously too early; only about a decade later, this category was successful in the market.
According to the Transport Act 1980 broke the UK, the market for small and light buses almost completely together, which contributed to the economic difficulties of the company and ultimately the end of production in 1986.
Bedford OB, built in 1950 with Duple Vista building Duple
Bedford SB, built in 1959, with construction of duple
Bedford C, built in 1961, with construction of duple
Bedford J with building Plaxton
Bedford VAS with Plaxton Embassy building
Bedford VAM with venture construction of duple
Bedford VAL, built in 1965, with coach - building Plaxton
Bedford YLQ, built in 1977, with the construction of Alexander, used in Ulsterbus
Bedford CFL with Mini Supreme - building Plaxton
Bedford JJL, built in four copies Midibus
Bedford J3 TJ
Bedford HA van (English: Van ), built in 1970
Bedford HA Van, built in 1978
Bedford CF, marketed in Germany as Bedford Blitz
Bedford CF Dormobile
Bedford WLG ', built in 1933
Bedford WLG, built in 1933, with Van - building Luton
Bedford OY -series, built in 1945
Bedford 4 WD with special design ( auger ) of Ruston Bucyrus -
1974 Bedford KM tow truck, built in 1974