The Berliner Tageblatt was founded by Rudolf Mosse and first appeared on January 1, 1872. It initially served as a reminder Journal of the business world and developed into an independent newspaper. With the foundation of the Berliner Tageblatt Mosse laid the foundation stone for the first newspaper group in Germany.
Designing, conducting employee
The beginnings of the sheet describing Fritz Mauthner in his roman a clef, The Fanfare ( 1888). His further development portrayed Siegfried Jacobsohn occasion of the seventieth birthday Mosses in a co-authored with Kurt Tucholsky contribution in the weekly magazine The stage on May 8, 1913.
From 1906 to 1933, Theodor Wolff, the former Paris correspondent of the newspaper, editor in chief. He replaced the ailing son Arthur Levy. Under his leadership, the Berliner Tageblatt most influential capital sheet developed alongside the Vossische newspaper.
On January 5, 1919, the headquarters of the newspaper as part of the so-called Spartacist uprising was occupied for a week by armed demonstrators organized by the USPD and the Revolutionary Shop Stewards demonstration.
In 1920, the twice- daily Berliner Tageblatt had a circulation of about 245,000 copies.
From December 1918 until April 1920 Kurt Tucholsky was editor of the humorous side dish practical joke that was published weekly from 1913 to 1933. He also delivered at this time fifty posts for the Berliner Tageblatt.
After the death of Mosses in 1920, his son Hans Lachmann - Mosse took over the publishing line. He was a banker and was the son of the owner of the Berlin brass works in the newspaper industry hardly previous experience.
The latest edition of the Berliner Tageblatt in Fraktur was the issue dated 21 March 1927 with the morning edition of 22 March 1927, the newspaper was placed in Antiqua, see also the comment of the English press from July 31, 1928 (evening edition ) and the French from the August 5, 1928 ( morning edition ). Until Saturday, August 20, 1932, the Berliner Tageblatt published Tuesday through Saturday with a morning and an evening edition, Sunday first there was only a morning edition, as only a Monday evening edition. This system was amended on August 21, 1932 with the launch of a Sunday edition; However, the week began to continue with the usual evening edition on Monday.
On March 10, 1933, the Berliner Tageblatt was under § 1 of the " Decree of the Reich President for the Protection of People and State " forbidden February 28, 1933 for three days, was printed the " Certified Copy " with the date of March 10. After the ban Hans and Felicitas Lachmann Mosse entrusted the management of the Berliner Tageblatt of valued employees of the house and put the surplus from their all holdings a charitable fund available ( April 9, 1933 Sunday edition ). Background of the affair was that Lachmann Mosse had brought the group through newspaper takeovers and takeover of the cabaret comedian financially in a dangerous imbalance, the "first" to a wave of layoffs led (regardless of the soon following " Gleichschaltung ").
Gleichschaltung and closure
On March 3, 1933 dismissed Hans Lachmann - Mosse the editor Theodor Wolff, who had fled to the Tyrol after the Reichstag fire, due to its significant criticism of the ruling regime and its Jewish origin via Munich.
After 1933, the newspaper was brought into line and appeared with a Berlin and a kingdom issue until 31 January 1939. About turmoil in the DC circuit and the peculiar dialectic, as on the one hand, a team led by the chief editor Paul Scheffer strove to free reporting and on the other hand the Reich Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels, the BT used as a fig leaf of alleged freedom of the press, Margret Boveri reported in her book "We are all lying ." The last chief editor was Eugen Mündler. In 1939, the publication was discontinued. Mündler and other journalists later switched to the weekly newspaper "Das Reich".
Wolff succeeded in his 27 years as the editor of binding the elite of the German journalism at its leaf. For domestic politics, for example, Ernst spring and Rudolf Olden, for foreign policy Josef Schwab, Max Jordan and Maximilian Müller- Jabusch For the trade part of the north and Arthur Felix Pinner were responsible. From 1922 to 1932 Fred Hilde Brandt was literary editor. Since 1924, Erich Everth corresponded to the BT from Vienna. For the music criticism was, as the successor of Leopold Schmidt, active from September 1927 to August 1933 Alfred Einstein on BT. Head of the major "Central European offices ", based in Vienna, was from 1927 to 1933 Heinrich Eduard Jacob, who wrote around 1000 posts in his time for the BT. Jacob sat in his time in Vienna for the BT profoundly with the Austrian National Socialists or Home Guard learning apart, which meant that he was arrested immediately after the "Anschluss " of Austria to the German Reich and transported to the concentration camp at Dachau.
Head of the theater department was from 1919 to Alfred Kerr. Among the regular employees of the arts pages also included Alfred Polgar, Kurt Tucholsky, Erich Kästner, Otto Flake and Frank Thiess. From March 20th to April 26th, 1931 was published in the Berliner Tageblatt, for example, the advance copy of the novel Schloß Gripsholm by Kurt Tucholsky. Wolff's deputy editor was a native of Vienna journalist Siegfried Bryk ( 1869-1924 ).
Over the years, wrote for the Berliner Tageblatt, among other things:
On July 31, 2007, the registered owner of the Berlin daily newspaper secured with the German Patent and Trademark Office, the combined mark Berliner Tageblatt and bears this name since in addition to their title in Berlin daily newspaper - Berliner Tageblatt.
For example, March 5, 1933 (reprinted little picture with newspaper press with the text: This number appears in the circulation of 228900 copies Berlin, March 5, 1933)
(compiled from various sources )
Organization for the newspaper (1937 )
- Publisher: Kurt Jahncke, Fritz Schmidt, August Lorey
- Editor in chief: Erich Black
- Deputy chief editor: William Renner
- Managing Editor: Reinhard Gerdes
- Politics: Willy Beer
- Foreign Policy: Rudolf Fischer
- Arts and Entertainment: Paul Fechter
- Economy: J. Wood Box
- Local: Fritz Dettmann
- Sports: Aribert Heymann
- Engineering and Automotive Engineering: St. M. Zentzytzki
- Youth: S. Zoglmann
- Intellectual life and literature of the time: Karl grain
- Advertising Director: Georg Macknow
- Employees: Augsburg: Lauterbach
- Bremen: Mahler
- Wroclaw: Thiel
- Chemnitz: Haberland
- Dresden: Böhnisch and Neumann
- Dusseldorf: Mahr
- Food: Bünten
- Friedrichshafen: Seibert
- Hall: Brinkmann
- Hamburg: Franken field
- Hanau: Schrecker
- Hanover: Lanzke
- Cologne: Schott
- Leipzig: Mißlack and minority
- Magedeburg: Long
- Munich: Judge
- Szczecin: Wegener
- Stuttgart: Haacke
- Weimar: Bauer
- Budapest: Berkes
- Chicago: Simon
- Gdansk: Cancer
- Geneva: Ruppel
- Istanbul: Holzinger
- London: Stutterheim and Gerwin
- Paris: Kramer and Grotkopp
- Prague: Worliczek
- Reval: Meder
- Rome: stock
- Stockholm: Paulsen
- Tokyo: Fabius
- Vienna: Stranik
Supplements of the newspaper were of the world mirror and house - yard - garden. The support included in 1937 more than 56,000 pieces. With the Berlin city sheet more than 32,000 copies came out this year. The scope of the newspaper had 16 pages on weekdays, Sundays 32 pages were printed. The newspaper published twelve times a week. The address of the newspaper was identical as the letterpress and gravure printing GmbH: Berlin SW 19, the Jerusalem road 46-49.