Bettona is a municipality with 4307 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in the province of Perugia in the Umbria region of Italy.
The municipality covers 45 km ², the population density is about 98 inhabitants / km ². The community is located about 14 km southeast of Perugia at the historic Roman road Via Amerina as well as on the rivers Chiascio and Topino. It lies in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone E, 2149 GR / G. Bettona belongs to the Comunità montana Trasimeno Medio Tevere Community and titular bishop Bettonium. The urban area belongs since 1995 part of the Parco del Lago Trasimeno Lake Trasimeno. The municipality is part of the associations The most beautiful villages of Italy and the Associazione Nazionale Città Dell'Olio. Today's historic center is surrounded by the city wall still almost completely intact ( with parts of the Etruscan wall) and through the city gate and main gate Porta Vittorio Emanuele enter ( current name ). The former Roman forum, today's Piazza Cavour.
Among the districts ( Frazioni ) include:
- Cerreto (about 3 km east of the capital )
- Colle ( 230-meter height, about 1 km north-west of the capital )
- Passaggio (202 meters in altitude about 900 inhabitants, situated at the confluence of Chiascio and Topino about 2 km northeast of the capital )
The neighboring municipalities are Montefalco, Collazzone, Deruta, Montefalco and Torgiano.
At the time of the Etruscans, the place was known as Vetumna and their only settlement on the left side ( east ) of the Tiber. Under the Romans the place was named Bellum Perusinum Vettona and became municipium. After the destruction of the village 548 by Totila Bettona came under the rule of Spoleto. Spoleto handed over parts of his county in 1198 at the Papal States, including Bettona that remains here until 1223 and then had to throw Assisi. When trying to make himself independent of Perugia 1352, the place is besieged, and finally burned, the churches have been omitted. The new city walls created in 1367 under the direction of Cardinal Gil Alvarez Carillo de Albornoz. From 1389 to 1425 the Trinci reigned from Foligno over the place. After Pope Martin V gave the place to the Baglioni, but the community fought 14 years against it. In 1439 the church was ultimately fief of the Baglioni family until 1648, after which the place was part of the Papal States until 1861. According to the unification of Italy in 1861 the total population of 2750 rose to 4,300 in 1951. According to recent low in the 1970s years, the population increased by 2010 to approximately 3800 inhabitants.
- Abbazia di San Quirico, a former Benedictine monastery from the 10th century in the district Passaggio.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore parrocchiale, Church in the town center, which was built on an older church in 1225 and was restored in the early 19th century. The main church of the town contains the artworks Crocifissione e Pietà of Nicolò Alunno and a Gonfanon of Perugino and the work Assunta fra due angeli Gerardo Dottori.
- Chiesa di San Crispolto, named after the local saint church from the 13th century. Contains relics of the saint. The present facade dates from the 19th century and was designed by Antonio Stefanucci.
- Chiesetta di San Gregorio, church from the 12th century in the district Passaggio.
- Oratorio di Sant'Andrea, oratorio from the 13th century contains frescoes ( Passion of Christ ) by the school of Giotto di Bondone, about 1394 emerged.
- Palazzetto del Podestà, 1371 incurred seat of the Podestà.
- Palazzo Biancalana, building, which was built in the early 19th century and now part of the City Museum (Museo della Città ) includes.
- Palazzo Baglioni, building from the Middle Ages
- Pinacoteca Comunale in palazzetto del Podestà, contains works by Dono Doni and Perugino.
- Torre del Corsano, defense tower from the 13th century in the district Passeggio.
- Villa Boccaglione, 18th century in the district Passeggio, probably built by Giuseppe Piermarini.