The Bieberer Mountain is a distinct ridge with high plateaus in the otherwise flat Untermain level. The collection is located on the territory of the independent city of Offenbach am Main in Hesse. The name is connected directly to the stadium on Bieberer mountain, which served the Offenbacher Kickers for 90 years as a home ground. The stadium was demolished in 2011. At the same place now stands the Sparda- Bank Hessen Stadium.
The Bieberer mountain is located between the core city of Offenbach and the eponymous district of Bieber. North on Main is the district of Offenbach Biirgel. The book is a hill located to the west extending spur of Bieberer mountain. Here is an important for the urban area of cold air path [ evidence ?] And the weather park Offenbach with lookout tower.
The highest elevation of the actual Bieberer mountain is 130 meters above sea level and is located on Bürgeler district. Yet he calls himself Bieberer mountain, for the place Bieber is closest to him. Until 1819 almost its entire area lay at the bottom of the medieval Bieber Mark ( with the exception of the south slope, here there was already the Bieberer Feldflur ). Only with resolution of Markgenossenschaft the terrain of the district Biirgel was slammed.
On the summit of the mountain Bieberer, at the site of today's stadium, the training ground of 1897 established Infantry Regiment 168 was until 1919 Even before the court was allowed on Saturdays and Sundays of sports clubs ( including Kickers Offenbach) are used. After the dissolution of the regiment with its barracks in Bieberer Street (today the tax office and food discounter ) was the western part of the sports ground of the kickers, the eastern part was small gardens ( Kleingartenverein Ost eV ). In the early 1970s had the allotments again be abandoned because at this point in 1975 that were created access and exit for the highway 448 with intermediate parking. The allotment association has since been his home on Erlenstegenstraße in Bieber adjacent to a previously established there Kleingartenverein.
The west of the stadium located remains of a range, and located north of the forest trenches ( former practice trenches ) bear witness to its past military use of the site.
Geologically, it is at the Bieberer mountain is a dry limestone layer of the Miocene. In the past here there were several limestone quarries. In the western limestone quarry limestone was promoted to about 1920 in up to 20 meters depth. Towards the end of the Second World War to the quarry -filled with rubble. Later, domestic, commercial and industrial waste was added. On June 3, opened in 1967 to 48,000 square meters, the pool there Tambourbad. The bathroom was given this name because on this site until 1919, among others, a military band with their drummers ( drummers ) practiced. The construction cost 3.4 million German Mark and was long regarded as one of the most modern bathrooms Hesse. In winter, air-supported structure has been used since 1972. On the basis of the ground ascending toxic gases of waste deposits the bathroom but operating time had to be closed in March 1994 after only 27 years. The former swimming pool site and adjacent fallow land were developed for " sports center Vienna Ring ".
Another quarry was also later backfilled and is known as landfill Grix. This was shut down by the company Grix in 1962 after 25 years of limestone quarrying. The filling was advanced so far that now stands on the former quarry a hill: the Schneckenberg, which marks the highest point of the city of Offenbach at 179 meters above sea level. This extensive renovation work was carried out within six years until 2005. It was the largest implementation project of the capillary sealing concept in Germany. The costs amounted to 15.5 million euros. The site will remain blocked in the future for the public, since it continues to emit toxic gases. The top layer consists of 46,000 cubic meters Rhine sand and is only 50 cm thick. The end of 2012 around four million euros expensive photovoltaic system with 12,832 solar modules and about three megawatts of power was on the south side of the site built. Previously it was considered to use the mountain as a sledding hill, destination, biotope or even as a ski slope.
In the limestone several tunnels were beaten in the 19th century, which were used for the storage of river ice from the Main. The main customers were breweries. Even today, the former function is eponymous for the Bierbrauerweg, where most entrances to the tunnels are.
The limestone quarries may have been already used in Roman times. So in just 400 meters away is the former tube mill ( later inking Höchst, today Cassella ) suggests a Roman lime kiln. The burnt lime may have been loaded from a suspected case Biirgel boat landing on the river Main.
That it is a very calcareous area every winter can be observed in Bieberer field. In open fields everywhere larger chunks of limestone are visible. The Feldflur was therefore formerly often used as an orchard, mainly because apple trees grow well on calcareous soils. Hence the Bieberer cider.
Bieberer lookout tower
Next to the stadium is located near the entrance to the B 448 and the 24 -meter high observation tower Bieberer. From the top there is a wide view up in the Spessart and the Frankfurt skyline. Although the tower is just 10 meters from the Bieberer Gemarkungsgrenze on Rumpenheimer area and was built in 1882 by the Beautification Association Offenbach, it bears the name Bieberer observation tower - probably because of its geographical proximity to Bieber and his location on the Bieberer mountain. From early May to late October, the tower on Sundays and public holidays can be climbed. Residents associations take over the tower honorary sponsorship and the associated closing service. At the foot of the tower, the lookout tower season is opened each year with a festival on the 1st May and summer is the large observation tower hard place.
The northern slope of the mountain Bieberer is now cultivated throughout. With the exception of the football stadium is the " summit " undeveloped. Here is the Leonhard- Eißnert Park and Forest Park is a conservation area. The so-called "America forest " direction Buchhügel and the northeast adjacent to the mountain Bieberer Lohwald are landscape protection areas.
Water Tower Offenbach am Main
On the other side of the feeder of the B 448 - next to the Schneckenberg - is also the most visible water tower Offenbach am Main power supply Offenbach ( EVO). It is a 45 meter high twin tower, the 2 × can store 7,500 cubic meters of water. Due to its location on the mountain Bieberer also highly preferred residential area can be supplied.
In addition to the water tower on the edge of Lohwaldes, a popular biker plant was created with all the trimmings by supporters of cycling. The facility was previously tolerated by the competent forestry department and the city administration Offenbach, although it is an unauthorized intervention in nature and landscape in the conservation area. By driving off the beaten track is the valuable beech forest on limestone, especially of the domestic, strictly protected orchids and butterflies, and diminish.
Leonhard- Eißnert Park
In Leonhard- Eißnert Park, a 22 acre public park right next to the Kickers Stadium, a climbing plant is operated by a private investor. More than 140 trees with approximately 12,000 meters of steel cable and webs were connected in five to fifteen meters altitude on the approximately three -acre site. Here, too, must be taken of the interests of the nature reserve account. Thus, for all platforms and ropes not drilled, but must be keyed. Moreover, still in the park Offenbacher youth traffic school the Hessian police and a skate park.