Biennials are bi -annual exhibitions, festivals or shows. The term is derived from the two-year period, a term for a period of two years. Triennials find, in contrast, held every three years, Quad Rien Nalen every four years.
The original Biennale was the idea of a mayor of Venice, of a world exhibition of fine art under the title La Biennale di Venezia was organized since 1895 every two years. For this world show today recorded country pavilions were built in a garden center.
For several years, the shipyards are used with their halls of the 16th century as an exhibition space that are normally closed military zone. As the number of participating nations Advanced whose exhibition venues churches, palaces and embassies are distributed throughout the city.
In the course of time, extended the spectrum and is now complemented by an architecture Biennial and the annual Venice Film Festival, where the Golden Lion is awarded.
1958, inspired by the international biennales in Sao Paulo and Venice, beat Raymond Cogniat, then the representative of the French Pavilion at the Venice Biennale, the Information Minister and later Minister of State for Cultural Affairs André Malraux before that even an exhibition in Paris should be organized. The aim was to present a panorama of young international art scene. The Paris Biennale was actually raised in 1959 from the baptism and has been revived again and again, despite some interruptions. In October 2006, the XV found. Biennale de Paris held at the nearly 100 projects from more than 20 countries took part.
São Paulo Biennial
The Biennial of São Paulo since 1951 is the second largest and second oldest art biennial in the world. It takes place in the designed by the architect Oscar Niemeyer Cicillo - Matarazzo Pavilion in Ibirapuera Park in São Paulo, Brazil, instead.
Other well-known biennials
- Aachen: International Chorbiennale
- Berlin: Berlin Biennale
- Wroclaw: Media Art Biennale WRO
- Busan: Busan Biennale
- Chengdu: Chengdu Biennale
- Gera: Hohler Biennale
- Gwangju: Gwangju Biennale
- Halle ( Saale): Werkleitz Biennale, Festival for Art and Media
- Istanbul: Istanbul Biennial
- Cairo: International Cairo Biennale
- Mönchengladbach: Ensemblia festival for music, theater, dance, art
- Montréal: Biennale de Montréal
- Moscow: Moscow Biennale
- Munich: Munich Biennale, International Festival of New Music Theatre
- New York: Whitney Biennial
- Ouagadougou FESPACO
- Prague: Prague Biennale
- Rotterdam International Architecture Biennale
- Remscheid: Bergische Biennale for New Music
- Seville: Bienal Internacional de Arte Contemporáneo de Sevilla
- Shanghai: Shanghai Biennale
- Singapore: Singapore Biennale
- Sydney: Biennale of Sydney
- Ulaanbaatar: Mongolia 360 °
- Manifesta, the European Biennial of Contemporary Art, at different locations