The Binghamton University (also called BU ) is a state university in Vestal, near Binghamton in upstate New York. It is one of four major universities in the State University of New York system. 2005 14.018 students were enrolled at the university, of which 2,844 postgraduates. The University is one of the best public universities in the United States, called a Public Ivy.
The Binghamton University was established in 1946 as Triple Cities College in Endicott near Binghamton and was part of the Syracuse University. After admission to the State University of New York system in 1950, the university was renamed Harpur College. Since 1951, the university is located on its present campus. With the selection of Harpur College as one of the four core universities in the SUNY system in 1965, it was renamed Harpur College, State University of New York at Binghamton. In 1992, the University at its present name Binghamton University. To date, the Harpur College is the natural and social scientific and largest with 8,000 students of the University College.
- William Baldwin - Actor
- Jeffrey B. Berlin - literary scholar and specialist in German
- Norman Finkelstein - political scientist
- Jessica Fridrich - professor at Binghamton University, mathematician and inventor
- Camille Paglia - art and cultural historian; author
- Ingrid Michaelson - Singer
- Paul Reiser - Actor
- Dava Sobel - writer
- Art Spiegelman - comic book writer
- Deborah Tannen - sociolinguist