- 6.1 traffic
- 7.1 monuments
- 7.2 religions
Birkenwerder is located in the south of the county. The northern border of Berlin's Frohnau (district Reinickendorf) is less than three kilometers away, while the center of Berlin is 25 km away. Birkenwerder adjacent to Hohen Neuendorf and is almost surrounded by the districts. In the east, the area borders to the community Mühlenbecker country and on the northeast by the neighborhood Wensickendorf the county town of Oranienburg. The center is traversed by the breeze that flows on the western border of Birkenwerder in the Havel.
Birch Werder village is characterized by extensive residential areas with detached houses and garden plots and by the breeze with its two lakes Boddensee and Mönchsee. The center is determined by the Town Hall, the Protestant Church and the Clara-Zetkin -Straße to the station forecourt, which is bounded by surrounding the station, the post office and a hotel. Through the village run the Berlin Northern Railway, the two federal highways B96 and 96a and the motorway A 10 in the eastern part of the town there is a convent of the Discalced Carmelite Order as well as the Asklepios Clinic and Regine Hildebrandt School, an integrative and cooperative comprehensive school with Gymnasium upper level. About three kilometers from the town center lies the village breeze.
Birkenwerder was first mentioned by name in 1355. In the 12th century, however, there was a Slavic castle wall on the breeze mouth, which was later expanded by German nobles. According to excavations in 2005 in the east of the castle was the first German settlement, but was soon abandoned in favor of today's village. Birkenwerder was as churches and mill location of the most significant place in the area. In 1840 began the construction of brick factories, the industrial development of the town. In 1877, Birch Werder connection was to the Berlin Northern Railway, and thus also to Berlin. It began a rapid transformation from a farming village to suburb and destination of Berlin. This development was completed in the 1920s for the most part. Birkenwerder had from 1961 to 1990 also because of its location on the rail network is of great importance as a junction for rail travelers between the "Sputnik " trains and the coming of Oranienburg and Berlin S-Bahn. Only after 1990 were made again major construction. To this end, in addition to a significant compression with single-family homes also include the connection to the sewer system, the expansion of roads, the construction of commercial buildings opposite the town hall, an industrial area on the highway, a residential area north of the highway and one in the direction Havel meadows, modernization and expansion of both schools, the hospital and the volunteer fire department, the construction of a sports field as well as the establishment of a hardware store.
Forecast of population development
Forecast age structure
The municipal council consists of 18 members and the mayor:
(As at municipal election on 28 September 2008) The voter turnout was 56.9 %.
The Die Linke, SPD and citizens for Birkenwerder each form their own faction. The CDU together with the FDP and the council of Feuerwertreffs a fraction. Furthermore, form the council of citizens alliance, B90/Grüne and from Briesetalverein a fraction.
Kurt Vetter ( SPD ) was elected in a runoff election on 11 November 2001 to the mayor. In the fall of 2009, the mayor was re- elected. The runoff election 11 October 2009 won the non-party Norbert Hagen, with the support of the CDU. He was provisionally suspended on April 3, 2014 by the District Administrator of the Upper Havel, first as mayor officiates Kämmerin Angelika Huhle.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms was approved on 21 June 1994.
Blazon: "In silver with blue Wellenschildfuß growing from a golden Dreienberg natural colored birch. "
Economy and infrastructure
In Birkenwerder the company Francotyp-Postalia, the Asklepios Clinic Birkenwerder and the corporate group Gegenbauer for example, are located.
Birkenwerder has a connection point on the Berliner Ring motorway called 10 (A 10). Similarly, the B 96 and B 96 a pass through the town. Since B is 96 frequented between Pomerania and Berlin, the noise of the main streets in the village is relatively large.
The Birkenwerder train station is at the Berlin Northern Railway. It is served by the S -Bahn lines S1 and S8, as well as the regional train line RB20. Birkenwerder is also on the cycle route Berlin- Copenhagen.
Culture and sights
In the list of monuments in Birkenwerder registered in the list of monuments of the country Brandenburg monuments are listed.
- Clara Zetkin memorial with documentary exhibition in her former home in the Summter Road 4;
- Memorial stone at the fork Erich - Painfully - road and Briese avenue for Peter Raupach from 1962, reminiscent of him and his fiancee who were shot because of contacts with forced labor during the Heinkel factory at Leegebruch in April 1945;
- Memorial for the Victims of National Socialism in the center of Birch Werder;
- After a design by the Berlin sculptor Alexander Tondeur a Kaiser Wilhelm I. booth image was created, which was unveiled on 16 June 1892, at presence of the then district administrator of Waldow on the square outside the town hall. There the monument in today's time is no longer.
On the northern edge of the town center there is the Protestant church, a Stülerbau of yellow bricks Birkenwerderaner of 1849.
Near the end of the village towards the mountain field located since 1988, the Carmelite Monastery. A monastery and a children's home built here in 1920 by the conversion of a former restaurant. The church is also used for the worship of Birkenwerderaner Catholics.
- Henning Wolff (1929-2006), journalist and newspaper editor
- Julia Axen ( born 1937 ), pop singer
- Hartmut Eichler (1937-2007), a pop singer
- Corinna Melts ( born 1941 ), jazz singer
- Friedrich Freiherr von Senden ( * 1942), Brigadier General of the Bundeswehr