Birmensdorf is a municipality in the district of Dietikon the canton of Zurich in Switzerland, this includes the hamlet Landikon. It is not to be confused with the homophonic Birmenstorf in the canton of Aargau.
- 9.1 Waffenplatz Zurich - Reppischtal
- 9.2 Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape
Coat of arms
Birmensdorf located in Reppischtal the middle of a wide valley basin. Several major rivers, including the Lunnerenbach and Wüeribach, traverse the valley floor and eventually culminate in the Reppisch. The basin is located on the west side of the Uetliberg and after several pages open.
- Population density: 520.6 inhabitants per km2
- Number of households: 2508 (2000 )
- Religious affiliation: 35.6 % Evangelical Reformed, 29.2 % Roman Catholic, 35.2 % other or no religious affiliation ( as of 2012)
Mayor Werner Steiner (SVP of 2010)
The proximity to the city and good transport links have shaped the development of Birmensdorf. A industrialization did not take place, there was a suburban community with a high proportion of commuters, as well as a strong local commercial infrastructure.
In the Fildern was discovered Stone Age settlement traces. From the Roman period are in finds Landikon and Risten.
Birmensdorf 876 is first mentioned as Piripoumesdorf, when a certain Adalpern the Zurich Bahnhofstrasse gave a portion of his possessions.
The beginnings of the modern settlement lies at the river crossing the road link from Bremgarten to Zurich on the Reppisch. Pile findings of this point could be dated to around AD 610.
In the 16th and 17th centuries Birmensdorf was a center of Baptist.
Large parts of Birmensdorf belonged until its abolition in 1808 the monastery of St. Blaise. 1834 Birmensdorf was a separate municipality, in 1803 the first district of Horgen, 1815 the district of Zurich and finally assigned to the 1989 District Dietikon.
The remains of the first church appear to date from the 9th century. It was a Romanesque church of St. Martin with horseshoe-shaped apse. Founder of the Church could have been from Üetliberg a descendant of Uatilo, who later became the Barons of rain mountain Sellenbüren belonged. In the 11th century they gave the church Birmensdorf the monastery of St. Blaise in the Black Forest, in whose possession it remained until 1806. During this time, the three-story Romanesque bell tower was created, of which the lower floors are still preserved. In the 14th century a Gothic choir was added in place of the Romanesque, which in 1659 the enlarged ship with nave and choir was adjusted.
Worth seeing are the Village Museum at the Mühlemattstrasse and the old water mill.
Birmensdorf is on the main axis through the Knonauer office in the metropolitan area of Zurich and is characterized by strong commuter traffic - daily traverse thousands of commuters from the area Central Switzerland the village, in the morning in a northerly direction, in the evening in a southerly direction. Relief brought the community the opening of the new section of the A4 motorway between Oberurdorf South and the branching Zurich West, which was opened in April 2009.
About the lines of the highway to Birmensdorf over 40 years has been argued and rescheduled several times. For Swiss transport policy this Autbahnabschnitt therefore has a certain symbolism.
Birmensdorf is since June 1864 on the railway line Zurich - train, which was opened at the time of the Zurich -Lucerne train station ( ZZL ). The railway line - now part of the Swiss Federal Railways ( SBB) - is traversed by the S9 S-Bahn Zurich since May 1990. Since December 2006, runs the S15, which allows approximately a quarter -hour. After the new line initially operated only on weekdays until 20:00 clock, their operation was extended in December 2008 to 21:00 clock and extended to the weekend.
Local bus services to Zurich Wiedikon, Oberlunkhofen ( 215/245 ) and Berikon ( 350) every half hour ensured by postal cars. On Sunday, as well as to Affoltern am Albis and Muri these run hourly. From Monday to Saturday the wrong bus 227 every hour to Stallikon -Bonstetten and bus number 314 during rush hours to Dietikon.
Waffenplatz Zurich - Reppischtal
Since 10 April 1987 the location of the parade ground Zurich is in Reppischtal. The both of military basic training as well as the WK troops serving facility is also an employer in Birmensdorf, including apprentices are trained in civilian occupations. Since 2006 is also the Military Academy at ETH Zurich ( MILAK ) on the military base.
Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape
The Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (WSL) is headquartered in Birmensdorf.