Birx is a municipality in the district Schmalkalden- Meiningen in Thuringia. It belongs to the administrative community Hohe Rhön, which has its headquarters in the town of Kaltensundheim.

  • 3.1 municipal
  • 3.2 Mayor
  • 4.1 Structures
  • 4.2 monuments
  • 4.3 Natural Monuments


Birx located in the extreme south- western corner of Hungary, just 1 km from the border of Thuringia - Hesse - Bavaria. The distance from the site to the former inner-German border is only 0.2 km.

The place is situated on the southern slopes of the plateau between the elevations manure mountain ( 773 m) and grave mountain ( 796 m). Near the place arises in several sources of stream of Birxgrabens.

Neighboring communities

To the northeast lies the Thuringian village of Franconia home, lie on the Hessian side in Ulster, inter alia, the honor Berger districts Melperts, Seifert and Thaiden, on the Bavarian side in the southeast of the community Fladungen with its districts.


Birx has already been mentioned in 783. Following local tradition, St. Boniface is said to have from Fulda causes the foundation of the town. The 750 m high place was named likely to Historicism " Perkühes " ( Berghaus ). Later in the 9th century, the name appears slightly changed as " Percuhis " on. According to ancient traditions of Count Berthold von Henneberg bought 1302 forest, meadows and paths, together with interest from the capital to Würzburg for 150 Heller. The place came in 1569 through a comparison to the Official Kaltennordheim the county Henneberg, later it belonged to the Duchy of Saxe-Weimar- Eisenach. Between 1500 and 1806 the city was in the Frankish Empire circle.

Birx belonged since 1815 to the Eisenach Oberland and was one of the most remote places in the Grand Duchy of Saxe -Weimar- Eisenach. The Church in Birx 1870 built in the Romanesque Revival style brownstone. The " Birxmühle " was a stately grist mill, about 800 m southwest of the local situation Birx on the Thuringian side of the border. 1961, the last owner was dispossessed and had to leave the place in 1962, the building was demolished. Opposite the mill, on the Hessian side of the border, recalls a stone cross on a murder committed there many centuries ago.


Parish council

The council consists of the mayor and six other elected municipal council members.

  • WG Birx 6 seats

(As at municipal election on June 7, 2009)


Steffen Hohmann was first elected with 79.8 % of the vote on June 6, 2010 as the honorary mayor.

Culture and sights

Interior of the church, pulpit and altar

Interior of the church, loft with organ

East German border fortifications on the grave mountain

Former East German border fortifications

Implementing agency of the GDR border troops for the section francs home and Birx


After the 17th century, a small wooden church was built in 1870, it was replaced by the current neo-Romanesque stone church. The spire is up with hexagonal head and lower back.


The remains of the border fortifications on a hill the border are called memorial German history.

Natural Monuments

Southeast of the village is located on the Bavarian side the Black Moor

Pictures of Birx