Bishopric of Chiemsee
The Diocese of Chiemsee was since 1216 a diocese of the Roman Catholic Church. As a result of secularization in Bavaria it was dissolved in 1808. The diocese area went up in the Archdioceses of Munich and Freising and Salzburg with the Concordat of 1817.
The Diocese of Chiemsee was founded in 1216 by the Archbishop of Salzburg Eberhard of rain mountain. He followed this along the lines of his predecessor, who had already erected the Diocese of Gurk as own diocese. For the Diocese of founding Emperor Frederick II in 1213 granted permission for first woman Chiemsee and Herrenchiemsee 1215. That same year also agreed to Pope Innocent III. the project to the Archbishop. The Cathedral Church of the convent Herrenchiemsee was determined. The Canons of the Monastery Herrenchiemsee formed the cathedral chapter. At its peak, there was a provost, who was also archdeacon of the diocese.
Was justified the creation of additional own diocese with the geographic expansion of the Archbishopric of Salzburg, which wanted its own bishop on the spot and at the same time also to prevent the establishment of additional Landesbistümer was looking for.
The Bishop of Chiemsee was considered a vassal of the Archbishop of Salzburg, the nomination of this, confirmed, was consecrated and invested. He acted thus as a personal suffragan of the Archbishop, who was assigned to him also other tasks. Although bishop of his diocese, the bishop resided probably in Salzburg, where he occupied the Chiemseehof since the beginning of the 14th century. Although the bishops were able to expand their skills in the 14th century, they remained as own bishops in comparison to other bishops always under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan. As the Bishop of Chiemsee was a vassal of the archbishop, he had a seat and vote at the Salzburg days, but not in the Imperial.
As a result of secularization in Bavaria was the Bishopric of Chiemsee in 1808 after the last Bishop Sigmund Christoph von Zeil and Trauchburg had renounced the office of bishop, repealed. The former diocese area went up in the Archdioceses of Munich and Freising and Salzburg with the Concordat of 1817.
Already in the diocese foundation was established that the rights of the archdeacon of Chiemsee, who was also provost of the Augustinian Canons and the island monastery, should not be diminished. The Bailiwick of rights over the monastery exercised the Duchy of Bavaria, whose territory was the Archdeacon. Bishop and archdeacon were always in a conflict of competence, with Bavaria supported the position of archdeacon. Only by strengthening the episcopal rights by the Council of Trent decreed the Bishop over the full professorship violence. Clear legal relationships were only created in 1613 by the division of Archidiakonates into the Archbishop of Salzburg ' and an episcopal chiemseeischen part. Through the establishment of a deanery in St. John the influence of the provost in 1621 was again reduced.
Expansion and organization
The area of the Diocese of Chiemsee was completely enclosed by the archbishopric of Salzburg. The diocese borders ran from Lake Chiemsee to Pass Thurn in Tyrol and the Achen Valley to Lake Chiemsee back.
With the establishment of the Diocese of ten parishes existed. Of these, five were in Bavaria ( Herrenchiemsee, Prien am Chiemsee, Eggstätt, Söllhuben and Grassau ) and Tyrol ( Soll, Kirchdorf, St. Johann im Leukental, Brixen im Thale and St. Ulrich am Pillersee ).
1804 was the Bishopric of Chiemsee from 16 vicariates, ten Kuratien, Kooperaturen ten, eleven chaplainries and benefices, a priest 's house, a Monastery and a Capuchin monastery. In the then eleven parishes lived 38 818 Catholics.
In January 2009, the former diocese by Pope Benedict XVI was. rebuilt as titular. The titular see is vacant currently.
See: List of bishops of Chiemsee
The coat of arms of the Bishopric of Chiemsee
The coat of arms of the diocese survived in some coat of arms of the former diocese territory. The eagle was in the coat of arms of the district of Traunstein and the community Reit im Winkl, the crosier is a part of the coat of arms of the market town of St. Johann in Tirol
Of arms of Reit im Winkl
The crosier in the arms of St. Johann in Tirol