View over the town center and Lake Geneva
Blonay with the neighborhoods Tercier and cojonnex is a village in the same political community in the district Riviera -Pays- d'Enhaut above Vevey and Montreux on the Vaud Riviera in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland.
Blonay, on 618 m above sea level. M., 4 km east of the district main town Vevey ( straight line ). The village is located on a terrace on the southwest slope of the Pleiades, between the streams of Baye de Clarens in the south and in the north Ognona: a scenic location about 250 m above the lake level of Lake Geneva, above Vevey.
The area of 16.0 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the western Vaud Alps. The westernmost part of the municipality of the village of Blonay is located in the gently sloping hills to Lake Geneva at the foot of the Pleiades. To the south of this slope is limited by the valley section of the Baye de Clarens. To the north- east, the municipality of ground above the pre-alpine mountain views Les Pleiades ( 1'361 m above sea level. M. ) extends into the strong in relief terrain in the headwaters of the stream Baye de Clarens. The community area also includes the area covered by forest and alpine meadows north slopes of Le Folly ( 1,730 m above sea level. M. ) and Le Molard ( 1'752 m above sea level. M. ) and extends to the upper reaches of the Veveyse Fégire. The highest point of 1,892 m above sea level with Blonay is. M. reached on Le Pila, a summit in the chain between Moléson and Rochers de Naye. From the municipality surface 1997 17 % came from settlements, 45 % of forest and shrubs, 35 % to agriculture and slightly more than 3% was unproductive land.
On the political community Blonay with the neighborhoods Tercier and cojonnex, including the settlements Tusinge (720 m above sea level. M. ) and Les Chevalleyres ( 758 m above sea level. M. ) above the village, Ondallaz ( 1,090 m above sea level. M. ) and Lally ( 1'241 m above sea level. M. ) on the southern and south-eastern slope of the Pleiades as well as numerous individual farms, alpine settlements and holiday homes. Neighboring communities of Blonay are Montreux, La Tour -de- Peilz and Saint- Légier -La Chiésaz in the canton of Vaud and Châtel -Saint -Denis and skin -Intyamon in the Canton of Fribourg.
With 5985 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Blonay belongs to the medium-sized municipalities in the canton of Vaud. Of the 82.7 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 8.8 % and 3.9 % in English (as of 2000). The population of Blonay rose in the first half of the 20th century slowly but continuously. Since 1960, a striking increase in population was recorded, which led to a tripling of the population within 40 years. The settlement area of Blonay has grown together seamlessly with that of Saint- Légier -La Chiésaz.
Blonay was up to the beginning of the 20th century mainly by agriculture embossed village. With the improved transport links with the train track Vevey -Saint -Légier- Blonay -Chamby (1902 ) the economic and tourist development began.
Today, agriculture with farming, fruit growing and viticulture in the lower elevations, as well as dairy and livestock in the upper parts of the municipality only a subordinate role in the economic structure of the population. On the sunny southern slopes of less than optimal Blonay is operated on about 50 hectares of vineyards. More jobs are available in the local small businesses and especially in the service sector. The Commercial Blonay is aligned next to the fast moving consumer goods also on tourism. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community, thanks to its attractive location (with a view to the Alps and Lake Geneva and the Jura ). Many working population commuters, which partially work in the Vevey-Montreux region in Lausanne.
Blonay with its castle, the vantage point Les Pleiades and the railway museum is a popular destination for day-trippers. In the winter, skiing and cross-country skiing is operated on a slope of the Pleiades.
The community is easily accessible via normal and both of Vevey and Montreux accessible. The nearest motorway connections to the A9 motorway was opened in 1970 (Lausanne -Sion ), which crosses the municipality, located in Vevey (in the west ) and Montreux (to the east ), about two kilometers respectively from the center.
On 1 October 1902, the meter gauge railway line Vevey -Saint -Légier- Blonay -Chamby by the then Chemins de fer électriques Veveysans (CEV ) was opened with several stops in place. On July 8, 1911 Following the opening of the meter-gauge railway line also Blonay -Les Pleiades by the eponymous former railway company Blonay -Les Pleiades (BP ), the only wrong at first as mere cog railway between Blonay and Les Pleiades.
On November 23, 1911, the opening of the meter-gauge railway line Clarens - Chailly- Fontanivent - Blonay by the railway company Clarens - Chailly- Blonay (CCB ) was performed. On January 1, 1956 took buses running and the railway line was removed.
On the railway line Blonay -Chamby rail traffic was discontinued without replacement on May 21, 1966. On July 20, 1968 it was opened on this stretch of railway, the first railway museum in Switzerland, the Blonay -Chamby (BC ).
The first documentary mention of the place was already in the year 861 under the name Blodennaco. Later published numerous other names: Bloniacum ( 1090 ), Bloniaco ( 1108 ), first Blonay ( 1142 ), Blenai ( 1147 ), Blanay and Blanoi ( 1163 ), Bleniacum ( 1176 ), Blonacho ( 1177 ), Blunais ( 1215), Blunai ( 1236 ), Blunaium (1250 ) and Blognay ( 1330). The place name is probably derived from the Gallo-Roman personal name Blanius.
Blonay was since the 11th century center of an important rule, which also included Saint- Légier -La Chiésaz, Vevey and Corsier. In the second half of the 13th century, the lords of Blonay vassals of the House of Savoy were. You clothed from now on under the House of Savoy supremacy influential offices in the Vaud. Rule and the castle were always in the possession of the Lords of Blonay. It was not until 1750 they were forced to sell because of financial difficulties. The castle, however, was bought back in 1806 by a descendant of the line Blonay.
The Bishop of Lausanne gave the Church of Blonay in the 12th century the abbey Molesme in France. This taught in the village a small priory, which was subordinate to the priory of Saint- Sulpice. With the conquest of Vaud by Bern in 1536 Blonay came under the administration of the Bailiwick of Vevey. The Reformation was introduced, secularized the Priory and transfer its rights to the city of Lausanne. After the collapse of the ancien régime Blonay belonged from 1798 to 1803 during the Helvetic Republic to the canton of Geneva, who came up then with the enactment of the Act of Mediation in the canton of Vaud. 1798 was assigned to the district of Vevey. Since 1811 a sulfur source in the headwaters of the Baye de Clarens was expanded to Spa Bains -de- l'Alliaz and used until the early 20th century. From 1953 until his death in 1963, the composer and musician Paul Hindemith lived in his villa La Chance in Blonay. Since the death of his wife in 1967 Hindemith Foundation has its headquarters in Blonay. The Foundation maintains there a Hindemith Music Centre and carries the Hindemith Institute in Frankfurt am Main.
The chapel of Saint -Antoine Tercier was built in 1503 and restored in 1981. From the 1930s comes the Catholic Chapel of Sainte- Croix. Blonay belongs to the parish of Saint- Légier -La Chiésaz.
The outstanding building is the standing on a hill northwest of Blonay Blonay imposing castle whose original structure dates from the 12th century; later, however, numerous changes have been made. Also the home of the famous resident in Switzerland gewesenen German composer Paul Hindemith is in Blonay. It will be held there numerous courses, seminars and work weeks.