BMW X5 (E53)
BMW X5 ( 1999-2003)
The BMW E53 is a four-wheel drive car with a centrally split tailgate from BMW. The E53 is the first generation of the BMW X5 and BMW E70 thus predecessors of.
The vehicle was unveiled in the autumn of 1999 in the U.S. and was the first limited offered by BMW all-terrain vehicle. Its production also took place in the United States.
He is regarded as an SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle ); the manufacturer himself referred to the car but not as "SUV" or as " SUV ", but marketed the X5 as an SAV ( Sports Activity Vehicle ) - a show created exclusively for the X5 category. An autumn 2003 presented, smaller version of SAV is the BMW X3 and since autumn 2009, the BMW X1.
The BMW X5 is 15 inches shorter than a BMW 5 Series Touring (E39 ), but wider. The missing gear reduction, the more thought for the road engine and transmission design and the self-supporting body with independent wheel suspension make the X5 as well as the X3 unsuitable for heavy off-road use. For this he is considered to be sports car among SUVs.
After the vehicle was already the end of 1999 in the United States at the dealership, it came in May 2000, after Germany.
In September 2003, almost simultaneously with the introduction of the manufactured in Austria X3, X5 received a facelift. Have changed substantially the headlights, the fog lights, the grille and the hood and the rear lights.
Two -part tailgate and L-shaped tail lights
With the launch of the BMW X5 was only offered with two engine options:
- Line six-cylinder, petrol engine, 3.0 liters, 170 kW ( 231 hp ), 3.0i model name
- V-engine with eight cylinders, petrol engine, 4.4 liters, 210 kW ( 286 hp ), 4.4i model name
By early 2002, the engine range was complemented with two new models:
- Straight-six diesel engine with turbocharging and common- rail injection, 3.0 liters, 135 kW ( 184 hp ) (Model name 3.0d )
- V8 - cylinder gasoline engine, 4.6 liters, 255 kW ( 347 hp), (model name 4.6is ), as a template produced by this engine is the BMW itself M62B46TÜ from the Alpina B10 V8, with whom he shares some components.
In October 2003, the new 4.4 -liter V8 engine with Valvetronic N62 was introduced as part of a facelift, this replaced the old M62 engine in the 4.4i with 210 kW (286 hp). The performance of the BMW X5 4.4i increased to 235 kW (320 hp). Furthermore, the M57 diesel engine in the BMW X5 3.0d has been technically revised, now received the common-rail direct injection of the second generation. Thus, the performance of the BMW X5 3.0d increased to 160 kW (218 hp). Also, the improved wheel drive system xDrive has been introduced.
In April 2004, followed by the X5 4.8is the new top version, which replaced the 4.6is. It was also based on the new N62 V8 engine and took the anticipated increase in capacity (from 4398 to 4799 cc ), which also took place at the 5 and 7 Series 2005.
1 with sports package
Production was discontinued in September 2006.
In autumn 2006, the new X5 ( E70 Series ) was presented. In the U.S., the E70 has already been introduced due to popular demand the end of 2006, while it is available in Europe since March 2007.
- When BMW X5, the BMW X5 Security was also available as optional vehicle protection of the B4 resistance level from the factory.
- At the Geneva Motor Show 2000 BMW, a study named X5 Le Mans. Here, the V12 engine from the BMW V12 LMR was built into the X5. Since no air restrictors was necessary, the engine made around 515 kW and a torque of 720 Nm at 5000 rpm. This was enough for an acceleration of 4.7 seconds to 100 km / h and a top speed of over 300 km / h The Nordschleife circled Hans Joachim Stuck in 7:49 minutes.