Bonlieu is a commune in the French department of Jura in the Franche -Comté.
Bonlieu is located at 760 m above sea level. M., approximately 25 km east-southeast of the town of Lons -le- Saunier (air line). The farming village extends in the Jura, on the high plateau of Champagnole Combe d' Ain between the west and the chains of the high Jura in the east, in the headwaters of the creek Sirene.
The area of 13.05 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the French Jura. The central part of the area occupied by the plateau of Bonlieu that. 780 m above sea level on average M. lies. This gently undulating plateau descends to the west slowly. It is drained by the creek Sirene west to Ain. In the north, the boundary runs partly along the creek Hérisson, partly on the top of the steeply sloping to the valley slope. Known far beyond the region are the 13 smaller and larger Hérisson waterfalls.
To the east, the municipality's area extends into the longitudinal recess of Ilay with the small Lac de Bonlieu and the headwaters of the Hérisson. This trough is flanked to the east by a densely wooded escarpment, which is partly dominated by rock walls. The ridge forms the eastern boundary of the municipality; on the Forêt de la Vallière is 1023 m above sea level. M. reached the highest elevation of Bonlieu.
To Bonlieu the hamlet Bouzailles include (680 m above sea level. M. ) on the plateau between the valleys of Sirene and Ronay as well as some individual farms. Neighboring communities of Bonlieu are Menétrux -en- Joux and Le Frasnois in the north, La Chaux -du- Dombief in the east, Saint- Maurice- Crillat in the south and Uxelles and Saugeot in the West.
At the beginning of the colonization of the region, the establishment of the Carthusian monastery of Notre- Dame de Bonlieu by Thibert Mont de Moret was in 1170 in the trough north of Lac de Bonlieu. The monastery was directly subordinated to the Grande Chartreuse. The monastery owned the property, the area between La Chaux -du- Dombief and Denezières. By plague in the 14th century and by devastation during various wars, especially in the 17th century, the monastery suffered greatly. At the time of the French Revolution, the monastic estates were confiscated. The monastery itself was converted into a weapons factory. In the course of the fighting in 1944, the remaining buildings of German troops were set on fire and completely destroyed.
The present town was formerly called Bonlieu Petites Chiettes. To a field change occurred in 1824, when the previously independent Bouzailles was incorporated into Petites Chiettes. In 1888 the official name of municipality Petites Chiettes to Bonlieu was changed (based on the former Carthusian monastery ).
The village church of Bonlieu was built in the 18th century. It houses a portion of the interior of the former church of the Carthusian monastery, including an altarpiece in gilded wood and the choir stalls. From the monastery a few remains are only visible; today is a hotel in its place. Among the natural attractions include Lac de Bonlieu and the Hérisson waterfalls.
With 266 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) Bonlieu is one of the small towns in the Jura. After the population had decreased significantly in the first half of the 20th century (1881 486 persons were still counted ), a slight increase in population was recorded since the early 1980s again.
Economy and infrastructure
Bonlieu was until well into the 20th century a predominantly coined by agriculture, especially livestock and dairy farming, as well as by the forestry village. In addition, there are today some of the local small business enterprises. Some employed persons are also commuters who engage in the surrounding larger towns of their work.
The village is traffic- technically quite well developed. It lies on the main road N78, which runs from Lons -le- Saunier to Saint -Laurent -en- Grandvaux. Further road links exist with Saint- Maurice- Crillat and Saugeot.