Bormio ( German antiquated name: Worms in Valtellina, Romansh: Buorm ) is a municipality in the northern Italian province of Sondrio ( Lombardy Region ). Bormio is the main town in the Upper Valtellina. It is located at 1225 m s.l.m. and covers an area of 41 km ². In 4042 the village inhabitants ( 31 December 2012).
You can reach Bormio eg from Trentino through the Tonale Pass and Gavia, from Lake Como through the Valtellina and Livigno on Foscagno pass. These routes are passable throughout the year. In the summer of Bormio is also accessible by the Swiss Munster over the Umbrailpass and the Val Venosta in South Tyrol via the Stelvio Pass.
Internationally known Bormio is a thermal center and ski resort. 1985 and 2005, the Alpine Ski World Championship was held here annually a guest on the Pista Stelvio Alpine Skiing World Cup of the. There are 50 km of groomed ski slopes with 16 ski lifts. The longest run is 6 km long.
Sons and daughters
- Giuseppe Anselmo Pellicia (1775 - after 1840 ), painter
- Erminio Sertorelli (1901 - 1979), Italian cross-country skier
- Stefano Sertorelli (1913-1995), Italian skiers
- Giacinto " Cinto " Sertorelli (1914-1938), Italian skiers
- Cesare Bianchi ( born September 30, 1948), painter, illustrator
- Stefano Anzi ( b. 1949 ), businessman and former skier
- Deborah Compagnoni (born 1970 ), Italian alpine skier
- Roberta Pedranzini (* 1971), ski mountaineer
- Martina Valcepina (* 1992), Italian Shorttrackerin