Borrentin is a municipality in the northern part of the Mecklenburg Lake District. It is located south of Demmin. It belongs to the Office Demmin country, which has its administrative headquarters in Demmin. Until July 1, 2004 Borrentin was the headquarters of the Office Borrentin.
Geography and transport
Borrentin situated about twelve kilometers south of Demmin and twelve kilometers north of Stavenhagen. Federal highway 194 runs through the town. West of the village there is the Lake Kummerow. Until the 1950s, the district had a small Metschow rail connection.
Gnevezow and Metschow were incorporated to Borrentin on 1 January 2003.
Borrentin was first documented in 1270. The place was now in possession of the Verchener monastery. After the secularization of the monasteries the manor domain was. It was not until 1816, the domain was sold to Rollmaus sailor. Already in 1818 it got to Luke Axel van Hooven, whose family until 1945, remained in the possession of the goods. The farm with 550 ha was located in the land reform, the mansion served as accommodation for refugee families.
In the 1960s, the district Gnevezow gained a certain central function, since there merged farms and new buildings were erected, after which there was a strong migration to surrounding towns.
Metschow was first documented in 1255.
Wolkwitz was settled in the 13th century.
Pentz was first mentioned in 1243. It was owned by the same family of knightly Pentz. But in 1311 the estate was property of the monastery Verchen. After the secularization Pentz became the state domain. In 1818 it was sold, but had constantly changing owners. The neo-baroque manor house was built in the 18th century and rebuilt in the 19th and modernized.
→ See: List of monuments in Borrentin
- The village church in Gnevezow is a rectangular stone church from the 16th century, using bricks with historic furnishings from the 17th and 18th centuries.
- The village church Moltzahn is a stone building from the 17th century. The church is partly built of older building materials. The historic equipment, the very simple inside church was removed in a renovation in the 1960s. The most important art treasure of the Church is a late medieval wooden crucifix on the altar.
- The village church in Schwichtenberg is a rectangular field stone and brick building from the early 16th century with a polygonal Ostschluss. Later, a tower was supplemented with truss substructure and verbrettertem building to the west. The church has a Grüneberg organ of 1863.
- The village church Wolkwitz is a simple brick and stone building on field stone base, the oldest parts of the church date probably from the 13th century. The most important art treasure is the Wolkwitzer Madonna, a Madonnenschnitzerei in 1250. Additional facilities include a late-Gothic carved altar and pulpit, Patronatsloge and five grave stones around 1600.
- Borrentin Manor (former official residence and now in private collection)