Boucieu -le- Roi is a commune of 287 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in Ardèche, in the Rhône -Alpes. The inhabitants are called Boucicois or Bouciliens.
The municipality is located in the skin Vivarais, in the northeast of the department, in the valley of the river Doux. Neighboring communities are Saint- Félicien and Colombier- le -Vieux. The nearest town is Tournon -sur- Rhône, 12 km away.
Boucieu is still as former capital of the skin Vivarais known, when the community was still one of the richest in the whole area and had great influence on the politics of the region. In 1291 Philippe -le- Bel even built a bailiwick of the Knights Templar in place, as well as there housed royal justice court in the area of the former lords Géronton de Saint -Romain- Valmordane. The king granted the citizens even a law to free tuition, so that the inhabitants by the year 1789 did not have to pay a large portion of the taxes.
1712 the village under the impulse of the Catholic missionary Pierre Vigne to new glory. The founder of the Order of Saint- Sacrement, who was both a religious as well as medical and missionary alternately active, lived from 1710 to 1740 in Boucieu.
During the French Revolution the place was called Boucieu -le- Doux.
Culture and sights
Boucieu -le- Roi is a village with old houses and narrow streets. Among the special structures include the home of the former bailiwick, and the church of Saint -Jean l' Evangeliste, which was built in the 13th century and restored in the 15th century. It was given its final name until 1492. Today the church is a witness to the changing history of the church, because it was modified several times and adapted to modern architectural styles at this time. So votive chapels were added in the mid-16th century on each side of the nave. In the blocks you have in addition the numerous religious wars (also called " Cevennenkriege " called ) noted that took place in this area. In 1574 it was raised by the Protestants to the temple in 1617 but re-appointed to the church. In addition, the site is home to an ancient oratory today.
The Pont du Roi, a bridge over the river Doux was also in 1492, inaugurated together with the church. Just steps away from existed in the Middle Ages an ancient Roman arch bridge that already testified to a settlement of the church in the ancient world. It was destroyed at the beginning of the 18th century during the Cevennenkriege, and today only the two bridge heads are obtained.
The Chemin de Fer du Vivarais, a narrow gauge heritage railway that led tourists through the countryside of Vivarais, maintenance made at the local train station. Since 1969, reversed the web between Tournon -sur -Rhône and Lamastre, the operation had to be stopped temporarily for security reasons. (2011 )
Since 1880 the museum has the priest Pierre Vigne is located in the old castle of Lord Boucieu. The building was bought back by the Community Supérieure Générale de la Congregation of du Saint- Sacrement and shows a variety of exhibition objects from the everyday life of the missionary and his Order. The House of Pierre Vigne also includes a small part of the exhibition. Here also, the Congregation of his Order was founded. His body was buried, according to legend in one of the chapels of the church. On 3 October 2004, beatified Pierre Vigne of Pope John Paul II. A great Way of the Cross was also called Grand Voyage de Pierre Vigne and 39 different chapels of the region makes station, still reminds us of the most famous citizens of the community. It begins at the wall of the local church.
Pierre Vigne: missionary of the Catholic Church and founder of the Congregation of du Saint- Sacrement, lived from 1710 to 1740 in Boucieu.