Braak is a municipality in the district of Stormarn in Schleswig-Holstein.
The municipality is situated on the main highway 1 in the catchment area of Hamburg.
Braak was created as a forest clearing village in the form of a round green village in the former Slavic- Saxon border region with the original seven hooves.
Braak was first mentioned in documents in 1256, but probably already founded around 1245. It was developed as part of the Saxon colonization of the east on the border with the Slavic settlement areas. 1310 sold the Holstein Count Gerhard II and VI Adolf. the village to the Cistercian monastery in Reinbek. In the course of the Reformation and the dissolution of the monastery associated with it Braak came into the possession of King Frederick I of Denmark, who incorporates it into the old sovereign Official Reinbek. 1814 documents here the Danes in a battle with the Russians. After the annexation of Schleswig-Holstein by Prussia Braak finally came in 1889 in the District Old Rahlstedt. As Alt- Rahlstedt 1927 the newly formed United municipality Rahlstedt slammed, Braak came to the district of Siek, from which, after the Second World War, the current Office Siek emerged.
Of the eleven seats in the municipal council, the CDU has been the local elections in 2013 five seats, the voter community BBV has four, and the voter community ADB two seats.
Coat of arms
Blazon: "In an elevated green silver tip, in seven gables constant, a red lily arranged red farmhouses. "
Economy and infrastructure
The wholesale bakery Braaker mill is the biggest employer in the town.
The bookmobile in Stormarn holds in 3- week rhythm at two breakpoints in Braak.
Culture and sights
In the list of cultural monuments in Braak are registered in the list of monuments of Schleswig- Holstein cultural monuments.
In Braak there is a volunteer fire department with a marching band and a senior citizen culture Braak.
The association operates the mill Braaker located south of Braaks center windmill, whose flour is processed from the same bakery. The mill was built in 1850 and was owned by the Müller and bakery Lessau family since 1859. 1977, the operation was temporarily suspended, the building made in 1983 under monument protection and extensive renovation.
In the territory of the municipality of Braak Altona astronomer Heinrich Christian Schumacher measured the so-called " Braaker base," a 6 km line whose length was determined very accurately. This line was used as the measurement basis for Schumacher Danish degree measurement, and the Hanover National Survey of Carl Friedrich Gauss.