Brecknockshire ( Welsh: Sir Frycheiniog, also County of Brecknock, Breconshire, or the County of Brecon ) is one of the thirteen traditional counties and a former administrative county of Wales. Since 1974, Brecknockshire is a part of Powys.
The predominantly rural and mountainous Brecknockshire in the southern part of Wales is bordered on the west by Cardiganshire Carmarthenshire and, to the south Glamorgan, on the east by Monmouthshire and Herefordshire, and on the northeast by Radnorshire. 1961 the county had 55 544 inhabitants in 1899 km ².
The mountainous area of the Brecon Beacons to the town of Brecon is sparsely populated. Important places other than the capital Brecon are Llanelli, Builth Wells, Crickhowell, Llanwrtyd Wells, Talgarth Ystradgynlais and Hay-on- Wye, the book town on the border with England.
The Black Mountains covering the south east of the area and in the central region are the Brecon Beacons. In the southwest region, Fforest Fawr and is located in the north of Mynydd Eppynt. The highest point is Pen y Fan ( 886 m). Important rivers are the Wye and Usk the.
History of kingship Brycheiniog
The kingdom of Brycheiniog was founded and survived into the 10th century, when it was conquered by the Anglo-Saxons in the 5th century. During the Norman era, it was classified as a lordship; the Lord of Brycheiniog was part of the Mortimer family, the greatest part of South and East Wales dominated ( called Welsh Marches ). During the reign of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd over the Gwynedd he received the fief of a lord of Brycheiniog, assigned to him by the King of England, Henry III by the Treaty of Montgomery ( 1267 ). By attacking the Marcher Lords Brycheiniog by Humphrey de Bohun and Roger Mortimer, 1st Baron Mortimer, in 1276 ended the peace between England and Wales; as a consequence the reign of Llywelyn was limited to his country seat in Gwynedd. Brycheiniog was henceforth under the rule of the King of England.
The creation of the County of Brecknockshire
The Laws in Wales Acts (1535-1542) eventually created the County of Brecknock by Zusammenlegeung various possessions in a Country or Dominion of Wales. The territories were " Brekenoke " ( Brecknock ), " Crekehowell " ( Crickhowell ) " Tretowre ", " Penkelly ", " Englisshe Talgarth ", " Welsshe Talgarth ", " Dyna ", "The Haye " (Hay -on-Wye ) " Glynebogh ", " Broynlles ", " Cantercely ", " Llando Blaynllynby ", " Estrodewe ", " Buelthe " ( Builth ) and " Llangors ". The town of Brecknock or Brecon was declared the capital.
The country was divided into six subdivisions ( Hundreds ): Builth, Crickhowell, Devynnock, Merthyr, Penkelly and Talgarth. Brecknock was the sole place with municipal law; Market places were Builth, Crickhowell and Hay-on- Wye.
An elected County Council created by the Local Government Act 1888; the industrial areas in the south of the region ( Beaufort, Duke Town, Llechryd and Rassau ) were the historic county of Monmouthshire incorporated. The Council of the County was held in the Shire Hall in Brecon.
Through the Local Government Act 1972 Brecknockshire was incorporated into the newly created county of Powys, where it became the Borough of Brecknock, Radnor and Montgomery next to one of the three districts of Powys. Parts of Penderyn and Vaynor were incorporated in the District Cynon Valley and Merthyr Tydfil from Mid Glamorgan, the District of Brynmawr and the Parish of Llanelly were part of Blaenau Gwent.
1996 was carried out by the Local Government (Wales ) Act a reorganization of local governments. All districts were dissolved and Powys was a unitary authority with the status of a County. At the 2001 census, the area had the former District Brecknock 42 075 inhabitants.
- Brecon Beacons and the Brecon Beacons Mountain Centre, Libanus
- Brecknock Museum, Brecon
- Dan -yr- Ogof Caves, Glyntawe
- Tretower Castle and Tretower Court
- Y Gaer, Brecon ( Romanesque Fort )