Broc - Fabrique: premises of Nestlé / Cailler
Broc ( [ bʀɔ: ], Freiburg Patois Bro / i?) Is a municipality in the canton of Fribourg Greyerzbezirk in Switzerland. The former German name Bruck is no longer used today.
Broc is located on 718 m above sea level. M., 3.5 km east-southeast of the district main town cop (air line). The village is located on a high plateau between the rivers of the Sarine (French: Sarine ) in the west and the Jaunbach (French: Jogne ) in the east, south of the Gruyère lake, on the northern edge of the Alps.
The area of 10.1 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the pre-alpine area of the uplands. The western border is the Sarine. From here, the communal land extends eastward across the flat valley floor and the gravel terrace of Broc in the valley of the Jaunbach. This flows from the Lac de Montsalvens ( a small portion belongs to the municipality ) and Broc by a deeply incised canyon ( Gorges de la Jogne ). South of this valley rises the area covered by pastures and forests slope steeply to the summit of the Dent de Broc, who with 1,829 m above sea level. M. the highest point of Broc. On the ridge of the Dent de Broc, extending from the Sarine to Motélontal, runs the southern boundaries. On the northwest, the area extends to the mouth of the Sarine in the Lake of Gruyère and in the alder forest in the estuary. From the municipality surface 1997 9 % came from settlements, 43 % of forest and shrubs, 43% to agriculture and slightly more than 5% was unproductive land.
For Broc include the industrial estate Broc - Fabrique ( 685 m above sea level. M. ) on Jogne as well as some individual farms on the northern slopes of the Dent de Broc. Neighboring communities of Broc are bull, Morlon, Botterens, Châtel- sur -Montsalvens, Crésuz, Val -de- Charmey and Gruyeres.
With 2442 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Broc belongs to the medium-sized municipalities in the canton of Fribourg. Of the 88.3 % inhabitants are French-speaking, 2.9 % and 2.6 % portugiesischsprachig in German (as of 2000). The population of Broc amounted in 1850 to 406 inhabitants, 1900 to 628 inhabitants. Then she got in a decade by over 1000 people at (1910 inhabitants in 1708 ) and reached around 1920 with 2163 inhabitants, the highest level. After a decline to 1950 by almost 30 % to 1552 people a continuous population growth was recorded again since then.
Broc was until the end of the 19th century, mainly stamped by agriculture village. In addition, the straw-plaiting played an important role, which declined sharply, however, in the late 19th century. Therefore, the establishment of the Cailler chocolate factory in 1898 put unemployment in the village to an end. The factory quickly became the main employer in the region, which is reflected in the strong increase in population of Broc in the first decade of the 20th century. 1930 were employed in the factory Cailler nearly 1,800 workers.
Today, Broc offers a total still at around 900 jobs. With 3 % of the workforce who are still employed in the primary sector, agriculture has only a minor role in the occupational structure of the population. About 62 % of the workforce are employed in the industrial sector, while the service sector, 35% of workers in united (as of 2001).
Agriculture is focused on animal husbandry and dairying. Among the important industrial enterprises include not only the chocolate factory, now part of Nestlé, a factory for plastic injection molding, two furniture works, a carpenter, a power plant and operations of the construction and transportation industries. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work in the regions Bulle and Fribourg.
The community is conveniently technically quite well developed. It lies on the main road from Bulle over the Jaun Pass by Gstaad. Of these branches at Broc from the link road, the lake of Gruyère to Freiburg leads east. On June 24, 1912, the railway line from Bulle to Broc ( to open up the factory grounds ) was put into operation. For the dispersion in public transport each Broc via bus routes the Transports publics Fribourgeois from Bulle to Gstaad and Corbières provide.
The municipal area of Broc, there were traces of settlement from the Middle Bronze Age as well as a burial ground from the La Tène period. The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1115 under the name Broyc and Broch; 1285 the name Broz has been handed down. The name goes back to the Old French word broc, the rocky spur, ridge means.
Broc was since the 12th century in the possession of the noble family of the same name, became extinct in the mid- 14th century and was probably a branch line of the Counts of Greyerz. Subsequently, the village came into the possession of Montsalvens, a fief of the Counts of Gruyère. Already in the early 13th century, a Benedictine priory was founded close to the Sarine, which initially belonged to the monastery Lutry 1577 came into the possession of the chapter of Saint Nicholas in Freiburg.
With the Kastlanei Montsalvens Broc came in 1555 at Freiburg and was incorporated in the Bailiwick of Gruyères. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) belonged to the village during the Helvetic Republic to the prefecture of Gruyeres, since 1848 Greyerzbezirk. In 1890, numerous houses a fire fell victim.
On the right bank of the Sarine is the Château d'En -Bas (Lower Castle ), a large rectangular building from the 12th century ( several times since then restored and transformed, most recently in 1972 ) and former seat of the Lords of Broc and Montsalvens. The lock has cross floor window from the 14th century, interior decoration from the time of the Renaissance and one designed in the 17th century baronial hall. In the castle there is an old stone bridge over the Sarine ( built in 1580 ). Near the castle is a tower from the 17th century, the priory belonged to the former ( there are church and convent buildings now no longer ). The village church of Saint -Blaise was rebuilt after a fire in 1877.
South of Broc, at the foot of the Dent de Broc, the chapel Notre -Dame des Marches stands ( rebuilt in 1705 ), which was an important pilgrimage chapel earlier. On the wooded hill north of Jaunbachtals are the ruins of the castle built in the 12th century Montsalvens. The castle, of which the walls of striking the keep are still standing, was abandoned in 1671.