The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel ( officially Hugh L. Carey tunnel ) is a toll road tunnel under the East River with two tubes and a total of four tracks that connects the New York City Districts Manhattan and Brooklyn on Long Iceland together.
Opened on May 25, 1950 the tunnel was passed under the north-eastern tip of Governors Iceland, on which, however, only results in a supply and return air tunnel. With its 2779 m length at the Port of New York, he is the longest -built underwater vehicle tunnel in North America. It forms the core of the Interstate 478 midway between Interstate 278 and the New York State Road 9A ( NY -9A ), West Side Highway from the direction of World Finance Center. In South Brooklyn his mouth and the access road separates the waterfront from Red Hook northern Carroll Gardens.
It is operated by the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority. The building design is by Ole Singstad. Construction has started on 28 October 1940 by the Second World War, its completion delayed by years.
On 8 December 2010 the New York government decided to rename the Brooklyn - Battery Tunnel after former Governor Hugh Carey. The renamed Hugh L. Carey tunnel was officially on 22 October 2012.
On October 29, 2012, the tunnel as a result of Hurricane Sandy was completely flooded.