Brumath, pronounced [ bry.mat ] ( fr.) or [ bru ː ma ː t] (Eng. ), is a commune with 9976 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Bas- Rhin in the Alsace region. It is capital of the canton Brumath and seat of the municipal association Région de Brumath.
Brumath located 17 km north of Strasbourg and 13 km south of Haguenau on the north shore of wrath, whose limited in the Alsatian lowland hills of the valley opens here to the Rhine valley. With the urban area which is part of the south of the village road rage located Stephansfeld.
The leading from Paris to Strasbourg roads bend at Brumath to south:
- The Rhine - Marne Canal is accompanied by a paved bike path.
- The main railway line since 2007 belongs LGV Est européenne, their new line currently still ends in the middle Baudrecourt in Lorraine. Between Strasbourg and Saverne also operate regional trains that stop in Brumath. The railway line from Strasbourg to Haguenau northerly runs far east of the village.
- The Autoroute A4 motorway passes close to the south-west.
The traditional main streets of the old town, however, are oriented parallel to the anger and aim so that on the 15 km to the east crossing of the Rhine located at the barrage Gambsheim.
The direct road from Brumath to Strasbourg is part of the now partially interrupted by reclassifications Route nationale 63
Brumath is one of the few towns in Alsace, which have a more than 6000 -year-long history of settlement. Numerous finds from the Neolithic, Bronze Age and Gallo -Roman era testify.
The erstwhile capital of the Gallic tribe of the Triboci BC was known after the conquest by the Roman general Caesar in the year 58 of a hand as the site of the spa Brocomagus, on the other hand Brumath was in Gallo-Roman times for four centuries, the biggest town in the region. The later so- called significant Strasbourg Argentorate served the Romans only as a military base.
After pillaging and occupation by the Alemanni Brumath came under the rule of the Franks. It was also during the time of the Merovingian and Carolingian an important administrative center. Numerous well-known kings and emperors honored the place in the valley of the Zorn with their visit: it came under another Charlemagne in the year 772, Otto II 979 and Henry II 1023.
The East Frankish king Arnulf of Carinthia gave the Carolingian Empire Lorsch Abbey on November 27, 889 its rich goods and rights in domain Bruochmagat Elisatia, so Brumath in Alsace. The Hohenstaufen Emperor Frederick II transferred the abbey and its possessions in 1232 to the Archbishopric of Mainz. Brumath was capital of the country Nordgau county, in the 14th century it was the town charter.
Although the near river anger hid the risk of recurrent floods, but was simultaneously used commercially by the inhabitants: on the banks of the anger arose mills, tanneries and hemp breaking. Plenty of dynamite to war - for the development of the city extremely counter- productive - arguments offered the split between the two noble families Lichtenberg and Leiningen suzerainty over the place. Another disadvantage was affected by the plague in the late Middle Ages and the invasion of the British. In the Thirty Years' War completely destroyed, it was slow to recover in the following decades now under French rule. Acquired only in the course of the 19th century Brumath by the construction of the Rhine - Marne Canal and the railway line a distinctive economic boom and a steady increase in population. In 1874, Rudolf Goethe Director of the set up there Imperial Horticultural school was.
In the 1920s, was Brumath site of the first radio station in Alsace. The equipment, including a 200 -meter-high transmission tower was destroyed during the retreat on 15 June 1940 by the French troops.
Since 26 September 1970 there has been with the Lower Bavarian town Dingolfing twinned.
Culture and sights
- The Brumath castle was built 1722-1726 by the architect Christian Ludwig Hermann and substantially rebuilt after 1795. Since 1804 it houses the Evangelical Church of Brumath.
- Built in the year 1810 by Michel Stiehr organ of the Lutheran church was classified in 1973 as a monument historique.
- An Archaeological Museum is located in the basement of the castle Brumath.
- Synagogue: In Brumath there was in the past a significant Jewish community; it was in the 19th century seat of the rabbinate. The first synagogue was built in 1801, the latest in 1844 / 45th During the German occupation damaged and desecrated, it was transformed in the postwar years in a food depot. Since 1957 she is again used as a synagogue.
Church of St. Nazario and Celsus
Sons and daughters of the town
- Jacques Kablé (1830-1887), insurance director and member of the Reichstag
- Geoffroy Velten (1831-1915), Brewer and Senator
- Gustave Stoskopf (1868-1944), artist
- Franz Xaver Martz (* 1879), Priest, Editor and Member of Parliament
- Charles Mast (1889-1977), General, whose grandmother comes from Brumath
- Louis Théodore Kleinmann (1907-1979), French commandant of the city of Mainz 1945/46, co-founder of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
- Charles- Gustave Stoskopf (1907-2004), architect and winner of the Prix de Rome
- Marcel Weinum (1924-1942), Nazi resistance fighter
- Jean -Luc Flohic (ed. ): Le Patrimoine des Communes du Bas -Rhin, Alsace. Volume 2, Edition Flohic, Charenton- le -Pont 1999, ISBN 2-84234-055-8, p 247F.
- Deed of gift of 889, (see above link: "translation of the texts ," " Wiesloch ," Note " 50")