1 FC Locomotive Leipzig
The Bruno - tarpaulin Stadium is the venue of the home matches of the 1st FC Locomotive Leipzig. It is located in the district of Leipzig Probstheida within sight of the Battle of the Nations Monument and summarizes officially 15,600 visitors, but may only be recorded with a maximum of 7,000 guests. From the fans, it is generally called only "Bruno".
The stadium was given its present name in 1949. Namesake was the workers' sports official Bruno tarpaulin. Before the stadium was Probstheidaer Stadium, VfB stadium was in media after the record on VfB Leipzig but mostly called.
At its opening in 1922 the venue with a planned capacity of 40,000 visitors was the largest club's stadium in Germany. The Built in 1932, still in operation wooden grandstand is largely in its original condition. It is thus an important architectural example of a large grandstand in German football stadiums that time.
Like other well-known clubs aimed VfB Leipzig to build its own stadium. These acquired one end 1920 80.000 square meters Country Estate in Probstheida. The club was then a stadium for 40,000 spectators set up in two years - in Germany until then without precedent. The stadium already had a small grandstand with 800 seats and a 400 - meter running track. The viewer dam was designed as a grass wall, similar to today's hard ground at the main stadium.
The VfB stadium was inaugurated with a week from 5 to 13 August 1922. At the premiere were 50,000 spectators, thereby defeating the SC Victoria Hamburg the host VfB 3-2. Within the festival week, the DFB had the second final of the never decided ( German Championship ) deliver between 1 FC Nuremberg and Hamburg SV in which approximately 50,000 to 60,000 spectators were present.
1932 covered wooden grandstand was built, which occupies a large part of the West line. Today it is probably the largest preserved in its original condition and located in function wooden stand in a German soccer stadium from that time. In addition, the dams were widened - a prerequisite for the international match against Switzerland on March 6, 1932 in front of 50,000 enthusiastic spectators. On the night of 16th to February 17th, 1935 destroyed a storm parts of the grandstand and the south gate.
After the air raid of April 6, 1945, Leipzig collected corpses were placed on the VfB sports ground without a coffin enclosure, since the capacity was exhausted for storage on the undertaking in the immediate vicinity of the Southern Cemetery. "Here they lay many days in the rain and sunshine. A terrible stench of corpses polluted the area. "
The Probstheidaer stadium remained until the dissolution of VfB in 1945 its property.
1945 to today
As of May 1946, the stadium served events of grassroots sport. The first highlight after the war were the playoffs to the Ostzonenmeisterschaft in football and field handball on July 4, 1948 which were held as a doubleheader.
Until III. Parliament of the FDJ at Pentecost 1949 were eliminated more war damage and the now modernized by Bruno tarpaulin named stadium. Among other things, the grass embankment was replaced by the still existing today erdhinterfüllten concrete edge - standing trusses. 70,000 spectators were then present at the FDJ sports show in totally overcrowded stadium - the absolute record number of visitors.
Another highlight was recorded in 1952. The weeks since sold out stadium ( 55,000 visitors) was on May 7 milestone for the first time leading through the GDR Peace Race, the cyclist. Also Chemie Leipzig avoided in those years in important games after Probstheida. After 1954, the unit East Player of the SC rotation Leipzig Bruno tarpaulin Stadium were at home.
The big football matches witnessed the spectators in the Bruno - tarpaulin Stadium but rare since the 1st FC Locomotive Leipzig his top games fought out at the Central Stadium. Are considered to be best discharged in tarpaulin Stadium games:
- IF the Cup final in 1966 against IFK Norrköping in front of 20,000 spectators,
- IF Cup match in 1967 against Hannover 96 in front of 35,000 spectators,
- The comeback game in the DDR - Oberliga on May 31, 1970 against bismuth Gera, that meant the absolute attendance record in the DDR -Liga front of 30,000 spectators,
- The league game on September 3, 1977 against Dynamo Dresden in front of 32,000 spectators and
- The European Cup games in 1983 against Girondins Bordeaux and Werder Bremen before ( officially ) 25,000 spectators.
In early 1992, the DFB locked the Bruno - tarpaulin Stadium for Bundesliga 2 matches. The venue did not meet the security requirements for the second highest nationwide German soccer division. Therefore, the Games of 1991 re-established VfB Leipzig took place at the Central Stadium. From the season 1995/96 the safety deficiencies have been eliminated, which was associated with a significant reduction in seating capacity, and built in 1997 floodlights. The VfB since then until its dissolution in 2004 again in Probstheida. There were plans to convert the stadium into a pure football stadium, the weak finances of the VfB made this project but not to.
Since 2004, the newly formed 1st FC Locomotive Leipzig wearing his matches at the stadium. The home games in the 3rd district league 2004/ 05 visited an average of 3,000 spectators, which is unique for this game class in the history of German football. In a friendly match against Hertha BSC the stadium on 23 May 2005 was in a long time almost sold out ( 13,098 spectators ).
Since the first bankruptcy of VfB in 1999, the stadium is owned by the city of Leipzig.
Meanwhile, the stadium is dilapidated, the capacity is limited due to safety requirements to 7,000 spectators.
- Classic stadium oval running track
- Floodlights with 700 lux light intensity
- Spectator capacity: 7,000 5,850 standing places
- 1,150 seats (covered)