Buffalo Grove, Illinois

Cook County Lake County

1709447

Buffalo Grove is a prosperous place and is one of the northern suburbs of Chicago. It lies partly in Cook and Lake County, Illinois, United States. According to the census of 2000, there were 42 909 inhabitants in the village.

Geography

The place is well located in the northern districts of Chicago. Inhabitants, both the Illinois Route 83 northbound take the Lake County (Illinois ) and south to the O'Hare International Airport.

According to the census in 2010, the place had a size of 24.7 square kilometers, of which 99.69 % land and 0.31% water.

Demography

According to the census of 2010, lived 41496 inhabitants in 15708 households and 11655 families. The population density was 1802 people per square kilometer. There were 16166 homes in the village, the building density was 679.2 houses per square kilometer.

In 42.7 % of cases children were living in households below 18 years, 66.0 % were married couples, 6.6% had a female householder and 25.8 % were non-families. 22.1 % of all households were made up of individuals and 6.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.23.

28.9 % were under the age of 18, 5.3 % from 18 to 24, 32.2% between 25 and 44 years, 24.6% between 45 and 64 years and 9.0 % were 65 years or older. The average age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 93.6 males. For every 100 females over the age of 18 years, there were 89.2 males.

According to a 2007 estimate, the median income was for a household in the township was $ 83,545, and the median income for a family was $ 101,336th 2.6% of the population aged under 18 were below the poverty line and 2.2 % of those who 65 years or older.

History

The Buffalo Grove area was released after the Treaty of Chicago in 1833 for colonization. During the 1830s, the area saw its first settlers, mostly land speculators. In the 1840s, they sold their land to German Catholic dairy farmers. It is believed that either Melchior Raupp or Jacob Weidner were the founders of the Community. Finally, other families came to the area and formed a close-knit community. The settlers built the first St. Mary's Church in 1852 and St. Mary School in 1855. Yet both burned down to the foundation walls. In 1869, they were rebuilt and made with the Weidner General Store and the Firnbach Tavern, built in 1899, a small city center. The tavern still stands and houses a pizzeria.

Apart from the city center, which is centered around the intersection of Buffalo Grove Road and Lake - Cook Road, Buffalo Grove serves as an agricultural site. The community gained a special reputation for the supply of Chicago with milk, cheese and other dairy products. The Weidner Cheese Factory was one of the most important companies. In 1926, the Public Service Company of Northern Illinois offered to the supply of electric power for the farms in 1930, the first concrete road in northern Illinois was built.

Today, most of the village is well developed. There is no more working farms in the village, although there are farms in the area.

Well-known residents

Pictures of Buffalo Grove, Illinois

de