Burton Y. Berry
After graduating from his native Indiana University in Bloomington and in Paris in 1928, he joined the diplomatic service of the United States a. His career led him, inter alia, as Vice-Consul to Istanbul in 1929 and 1931, Consul to Athens in 1938, Istanbul 1943, Bucharest 1944, Director of the State Department 's Office of African, South Asian and Near East Affairs in 1947 to Washington DC; Budapest 1948, and as ambassador to Iraq 1952 until 1954. Afterwards, he retired and lived in Istanbul, Beirut, Cairo and finally to Switzerland.
He began early in the Middle East to collect, first textiles, a collection which he the Art Institute of Chicago gave, then above all coins (now mostly as a gift to the American Numismatic Society in New York), gems, jewelry and other small antique art, these parts are now as a gift in the Indiana University Art Museum.
- The Influence of Political Platforms on Legislation in Indiana, 1901-1921, in: The American Political Science Review 17, 1 (1923 ), pp. 51-69.
- Old Turkish Towels, In: The Art Bulletin 14 (1932 ), pp. 344-358.
- Turkish Door Furnishings, In: Ars islamica 1 (1934 ), pp. 223-229.
- Turkish Silver Snuff Boxes, In: The Connoisseur 93 (1934 ), pp. 190-193.
- Turkish Embroidery, In: Embroidery 4, 3 (1936 )
- The Development of the Support Bracket in Turkish Domestic Architecture in Istanbul, in: Ars islamica 5 (1938 ), pp. 172-178.
- Old Turkish Silver, In: The Connoisseur 101 (1938) pp. 128-132.
- Old Turkish Towels II, in: The Art Bulletin 20 (1938 ), pp. 251-265.
- A numismatic biography. Lucerne 1971. S. 89
- Teenage modes and trends. Zurich in 1972.
- Out of the past: the Istanbul Grand Bazaar. New York, Arco Pub 1977. 192 pp. ISBN 0-668-03778-4
- Near Eastern Excursions. Zurich 1989
- Romanian diaries from 1944 to 1947. Iaşi; Oxford; Portland, The Center for Romanian Studies, 2000. 715 pp. ISBN 973-9432-07-7
Catalogs of the collections of Burton Y. Berry
- Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum. USA: The Burton Y. Berry collection Part 1: . Macedonia to Attica, New York, American Numismatic Society, 1961 Part 2: Megaris to Egypt, New York, American Numismatic Society in 1962.
- Margaret Gentles: Turkish and Greek Iceland embroideries from the Burton Yost Berry Collection at the Art Institute of Chicago. Chicago, Art Institute of Chicago in 1964. S. 53
- A selection of ancient gems from the collection of Burton Y. Berry. Bloomington, Ind., Indiana University Art Museum in 1965. S. 67 (Indiana University Art Museum publication 1965.5 )
- Ancient gems from the collection of Burton Y. Berry. Bloomington, Ind., Indiana University Art Museum, 1969. 151 S. ( Indiana University Art Museum publication 1969.1 )
- Cornelius C. Vermeule: Near Eastern Greek and Roman Gems, a Recent Gift to the Collections. In: Boston Museum of Fine Arts Bulletin 68 (1970 ) no. 353 (The 25 gems were a gift from Burton Y. Berry )
- Robert L. hollow fields: Ancient Greek Coins from the Collection of Burton Y. Berry, Bloomington, Ind., Indiana University Art Museum in 1973.
- Wolf Rudolph; Evelyne Rudolph: The Ancient Jewelry from the Burton Y. Berry Collection of. An Introductory Catalogue. Bloomington, Ind., Indiana University Art Museum in 1973. Xxiv 247 pp. (Indiana University Art Museum publication 1973.1 )
- Wolf W. Rudolph: Highlights of the Burton Y. Berry collection. Indiana University Art Museum; September 18 - December 22, 1979 Bloomington, Ind. 1979, 46 p. .
- Wolf Rudolph: A golden legacy: ancient jewelry from the Burton Y. Berry collection at the Indiana University Art Museum; [ in Conjunction with the Traveling Exhibition organized by the Indiana University Art Museum, A Golden Legacy: Ancient Jewelry from the Burton Y. Berry Collection; the exhibition presented over 300 pieces of jewelry at the Saint Louis Art Museum ... and the Indiana University Art Museum, Bloomington, in between 1994 and 1995].. Bloomington, Ind., 1995 xi 332 pp. ISBN 0-253-34980- X; 0-253-20913-7
- Golden heritage: ancient jewelry from the Burton Y. Berry Collection of Ambassador; Museum of Arts and Crafts Frankfurt am Main, May 2 to September 14, 1997; ( Allard Pierson Museum, Amsterdam, December 12, 1997 - March 1, 1998 ). Engl Text: Adriana Călinescu; Translation and editing: Wolf Rudolph. Frankfurt am Main, Museum of Arts and Crafts in 1997. S. 48
- Een gouden erfenis: antieke sieraden uit de verzameling Burton Y. Berry; [ de tentoonstelling what eerder te zien in the next musea: St. Louis Art Museum, 1 maart 1994-10 July 1994 ... Allard Pierson Museum, Amsterdam, 13 december 1997-1 maart 1998]. Amsterdam, Vereniging van Vrienden, Allard Pierson Museum in 1997. S. 32 ( Mededelingenblad, Vereniging van Vrienden van het Allard Pierson Museum 70)