Business Engineering (BE) is an interdisciplinary science from the field of engineering and focuses on how complex things designed, coordinated, and to be led. " The business engineering refers to the methods and model-based design theory for companies in the information age " (see ). Unlike the industrial engineering business engineering non-technical systems as a result, but the business models focused. Business Engineering (BE ) deals inter alia with issues that arise from the transformation of the industrial to the information society (see ). In addition to changes in the environment (markets, customers, values, etc.) Business Engineering assumes in particular that open innovation in the field of information and communication technology potential for the development of new business models. Thus, it does not remain in the vision, it is important to implement innovative business solutions in the form of organizations, business processes and information systems (see page 8). The aim of the Business Engineering is " innovative business solutions as professional as aircraft or manufacturing facilities to develop " ( p 7). It brings together business engineering business management and information technology knowledge and combines it with all aspects of transformation, by means of representation on process models to cultural and political points of view ( see, page 30). After Österle / Blessing and Österle Business Engineering means:
- BE includes the professional design and change management. A corporate transformation is not limited to technical or vocational aspect of change. Also, the political-cultural dimension is of great importance, since both the change management as well as an understanding of the cultural and political aspects of change can determine the success or failure of the transformation. Thus it is with the Business Engineering is a multidisciplinary management approach.
- BE separates the design levels of the company. BE distinguishes between a strategic, organizational and technological design level. The examination of different design objects at different levels allows a focused view of the individual dimensions of the transformation ( p 191). The decomposition of the problem into different levels provides security and helps to reduce the complexity of the transformation process.
- BE provides a holistic view of all dimensions. BE supports not only the design of new business solutions but also sets them systematically into processes and systems. It therefore considers all dimensions (affected resources and processes ) of the transformation.
- BE refers to the methods and model-based design theory for companies in the information age ( p 7). A corporate transformation is far too much, including their technical and socio -economic aspects and too complex that they could be denied without the use of methods and models. Methods and models not only ensure transparency in the transformation process but make this division of labor, creating a basis for communication and allow for the documentation of the systematic reorientation of a company. Through a division of labor and engineering-based " construct " differentiated business engineering of individualistic " Creation" (see p 88).
Each year the Business Engineering Forum takes place dispute on the experts knowledgeable about the subject.
Approaches of Business Engineering
- ARIS ( Architecture of Integrated Information Systems )
- Semantic Object Model ( SOM)
- The Open Group Architecture Framework ( TOGAF )
- Integral design of organizational structures and information systems ( Henk Sol )
Since the roots of the BE are in Belgium, a variety of programs is offered particularly there. Thus, the Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management, ICHEC Brussels Management School, the, the Louvain School of Management, the University of Liège, Ghent University or the University of Antwerp offer Bachelor and Master programs in Business Engineering. The study includes both management methodology, business administration, economics, mathematics and technical components and computer science.
In Finland, the Oulu University offers a graduate degree in Business Engineering. Prerequisite for this, however, a master's degree in engineering.
In Germany, the Steinbeis University Berlin allows the English-language studies for Master of Business Engineering. Content here, similar to the programs in Belgium, management methodologies and the fundamentals of business and economics. To be eligible for the program an academic degree in engineering is also necessary.
In Switzerland, can be completed part-time in 18 months at the University of St. Gallen studying for Executive MBA in Business Engineering. In two intense modules abroad in the USA ( Santa Clara University, California ) and China ( Jiaotong University, Shanghai ), the local dynamics, cultural differences and gives to European management methods. Training as a Business Engineer capable of active, holistic transformation and thus to take on challenging leadership positions in companies and other organizations. To be eligible for the program, among other things a university degree and approximately 5 years of professional experience is necessary.
Also in Switzerland can be completed the study to the Executive MBA in Business Engineering part-time in four semesters at the PHW Business School Bern. The Master program Business Engineering is an interdisciplinary course with close coordination of engineering science (technology) and business administration. The overall study program teaches performance skills for the design change on the basis of technical, economic and methodological skills with primary focus on the holistic transformation of enterprises. The focal points are in the subjects of internationalization strategies, technology management, business models and value concepts, information management and systems, value -oriented corporate management and turnaround management. From the study program is a broad, comprehensive and holistic education. Graduates are able to transfer the skills acquired in their professional world, apply and implement in daily operations and to handle complex problems independently. Admission criteria are a university degree or with the formation of a higher technical school and have appropriate professional experience " sur dossier ".