Location and data
Butera is located 49 km south of Caltanissetta north of the plain of Gela. The main occupation of the inhabitants is agriculture, especially the products of cereals, fruit and almonds.
The area around the town has been inhabited since prehistoric times. The town was conquered by the Arabs in 854. In 1011 the town was destroyed by the Lombards under the leadership of William the evil. William the Good build Butera again.
- Parish Church of San Tomaso 18th century altarpiece Madonna deli Angeli by Filippo Paladini
- Piazza Dante
- The ruins of Moslem time to see is still the courtyard and a square tower
- Necropolis north of the city, with tombs from the 4th century BC
It is twinned with the town of Gevelsberg in North Rhine-Westphalia.