The Cablevision Systems Corporation is a US-based media company. Cablevision is the fifth largest cable television company in the country and 25th place in the ranking of media companies
Cablevision was founded in 1973. Seat of the companies listed on the New York Stock Exchange company is Bethpage in the U.S. state of New York.
Chairman is Charles Dolan, President and CEO James L. Dolan. The Dolan family is also principal owner with a share of about 20% and about 70 % of the voting rights. Charles F. Dolan was also the founder of the TV channel HBO, which is now part of Time Warner. See also Charles F. Dolan School of Business.
Cablevision employs about 20,000 people and reported 2008 global revenues of $ 7.23 billion (previous year 6.48 billion ), but it made a loss of $ 225.57 million (previous year: $ 218,890,000 profit) on the particularly the acquisition of the New York regional newspaper Newsday is returned. The operating result amounted to $ 689.68 million (previous year: 911 070 000 ).
In June 2010, Cablevision has an agreement to take over the industry peers Bresnan Communications for approximately $ 1.4 billion closed.
- Through its subsidiary Rainbow Media, Cablevision holdings include stakes in the cable television channel AMC chains ( 86,000 subscribers), IFC ( 49,000 ) and WETV ( 61,000 ). The transmitter Sundance Channel ( over 30,000 subscribers) was acquired in 2008. Through its subsidiary Madison Square Garden LP, MSG Media division, also include the music station group fuse TV and the sports channels MSG Network and MSG Plus to Cablevision.
- Optimum Online ( broadband Internet): over 2.4 million customers ( 2008).
- Optimum Voice ( VoIP ): nearly 1.9 million customers ( 2008).
- Optimum Lightpath (Business Division )
- News 12 Networks ( news channel )
- Newsday ( regional newspaper, online edition only charge available )
The subsidiary Madison Square Garden LP is the owner and operator of New York's Madison Square Garden and has the Radio City Music Hall, which was built in the 1920s on Broadway Beacon Theatre and the Chicago Theatre leased.
A division of MSG LP, MSG Entertainment, produced in these and other houses various shows and events, among others, the dance ensemble The Rockettes.
Cablevision is through its subsidiary Madison Square Garden LP (Department MSG Sports) owners of the teams New York Knicks (basketball ), New York Rangers ( Hockey ), New York Liberty ( Basketball Wives ) and Hartford Wolf Pack ( hockey ).