Calau, Lower Kalawa is a small town in southern Brandenburg Oberspreewald -Lausitz. It is located south of the Spreewald. Calau is also referred to as the home of corny jokes.
- 2.1 Amalgamations
- 2.2 people 2.2.1 Demographics
- 3.1 City Council
- 3.2 Coat of Arms
- 3.3 City Flag
- 3.4 Town twinning
- 4.1 Church building
- 4.2 Historical Monuments
- 5.1 traffic
- 5.2 Education 5.2.1 schools
- 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town
- 6.2 Other personalities who are associated with the city
The city is located in Lower Lusatia, about 25 kilometers west of Cottbus on the eastern edge of the Natural Park Lower Landrücken and on the southern edge of the Spreewald.
The immediate area Calau is referred to as the Calauer Switzerland with valuable retreat habitats for animals and plants. In the north-west adjacent nature park, he emerged partly after the reclamation of a lignite mine, many aspects of nature are left to the Heinz Sielmann Foundation has taken numerous areas, others are cultivated close to nature and gentle by the State Forestry Administration. The Rangers also offer hikes on the surfaces. Particularly worth seeing is the Geological and Natural Trail Luttchensberg.
- City Calau
- District Bolschwitz
- District Buckow
- District Craupe with Radensdorf and Schrakau
- District Gollmitz with Settinchen
- District of the United Jehser with Erpitz and Malle Nchen
- District of the United Mehßow with small Mehßow
- District Kemmen with Säritz and Schadewitz
- District Mlode with Rochus Thal
- District Saßleben with Kalkwitz and Reuden
- District Werchow with Cabel and Plieskendorf
- District Zinnitz with Bathow
The name Calau originally Slavic Carlowe, reminiscent of the Slavic roots of the city. Calau was first documented in 1279. During the 15th and 16th centuries Niederlausitzer diets were repeatedly held in Calau.
Until the district reform in 1993 was Calau county seat. Now it belongs to Oberspreewald -Lausitz. 2002 occupied Calau along with thirteen other cities in the 3rd place in the national competition Urban Redevelopment East.
On December 31, 2001, five former municipalities were integrated. On October 26, 2003, followed by six more places.
Already in the years 1926, 1950, 1957, 1965 and 1974 found incorporations take place on the territory of the present town Calau.
Today, the Sorbian language in Calau has almost disappeared, while the Sorbs still represented a share of 30.8 percent of the total population in 1843. In the following decades, the number of sorbent decreased rapidly due by assimilation; only 3.5 percent in 1900 is known as Sorbs.
The city council consists of 18 councilors, as well as the full-time mayor.
- LEFT: 6 seats ( 3)
- CDU: 4 seats (-3)
- SPD: 3 seats (± 0)
- Rural voters community: 2 seats (± 0)
- GREEN: 1 seat ( ± 0)
- FDP 1 seat ( ± 0)
- DSU 1 seat ( ± 0)
(As at municipal election on 28 September 2008)
Coat of arms
The coat of arms was approved on 15 December 1992. In February 2012, approval was a free redesign of the city coat of arms by the heraldist Uwe Reipert ( Beeskow ).
Blazon: " Argent, a red castle, with bezinntem gequadertem and masonry as well as with open black gate and pulled up a golden portcullis. The two bezinnten round towers are provided with sharp blue goldbeknauften helmets and a black window. Between the towers hovering a split of gold and blue shield, growing up a black beschwänzter lion with red tongue and reinforcement, the bottom three ( 2-1 ) six-pointed silver star. "
The city Calau leads since March 2012 a city flag. § 2 paragraph 3 of the main statutes: the city Calau performs the following flag: Dreistreifig in blue - yellow-blue ( blue - gold - blue) and in the ratio 1:5:1 with the city arms in the center.
Calau has been twinned with the North Rhine -Westphalia, Viersen.
Culture and sights
In the list of monuments in Calau and in the list of ground monuments in Calau are registered in the list of monuments of the country Brandenburg monuments.
The town church Calau is - as it presents itself today - a late gothic, repeatedly rebuilt brick building. Construction is to be put in the late 13th century. Around 1400, the church must have been completed in its present form.
Particularly noteworthy is the church to Kemmen, which was built in the 17th century. Here is located on the Taufdeckel to a 1652 carved out of wood in the years 1649 figure group The baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist. As an artist, are called Andreas Schulz from Calau and Martin lift from Cottbus.
- Memorial complex at the Karl-Marx-Straße/Ecke Park Street, 1928 originally dedicated to the first president, Friedrich Ebert, destroyed by the Nazis in 1933, dedicated in 1948 to the victims of National Socialism, 1989 again rededicated to the victims of fascism and Stalinism
- Memorial for the actor Joachim Gottschalk, whose Jewish wife Meta and their son Michael were to be deported to extermination, which the entire family on November 6, 1941 suicide selected. In 1967, created by Theo Balden bronze figure, reminiscent of the actor who originally stood in the park and was inserted following the construction of the local savings bank in the 1990s in a memorial wall at the former home of Joachim Gottschalk Road 35
Economy and infrastructure
From the Editor Calau Deutsche Telekom multiple FM and television programs of the rbb Brandenburg are emitted. Among them, the frequency 93.4 MHz ( Information Radio ) is provided for programs in the Sorbian radio Calau from. The antenna carrier acts a 190 -meter-high concrete tower, the so-called "Long Calauer ", in the southwest of the city at 51 ° 44 '30 " N, 13 ° 56' 31" O51.74166666666713.941944444444, which was built in 1982. In case of fire on 26 April 2011, the transmitters were destroyed. The original state is restored in February 2012.
Calau is on the railway tracks Halle- Cottbus and Lübbenau -Kamenz. It trains the relations ( Halle ( Saale) - ) Falkenberg (Elster ) Cottbus and Berlin- Schönefeld Airport Lübbenau (Spreewald ) Senftenberg
By Calau cause no federal roads, the motorway junction Calau is located about seven kilometers northwest of the A 13
- Primary school Calau, since 2008 with the name Carl - Anwandter Primary School and also celebrated the 2008 100 year old birthday of Carl- Anwandter - at the Carl Anwandter Primary School, there is also the Lower Sorbian primary education
- High school, since 2007 with the name Robert - Silesian School
Sons and daughters of the town
- Dietrich von Bock village (* around 1410 in Zinnitz, † 1466 in Naumburg ), bishop of Naumburg
- Georg Ermel ( born February 2, 1659 Calau; † February 2nd 1745 in Grimsby ), German educator
- Alexius Naboth (* 1520 in Calau ), Lutheran theologian
- Valentin Naboth (* February 14, 1523 in Calau; † March 3, 1593 in Padua ), mathematician, astronomer and astrologer
- Martin Naboth (* 1675 in Calau, † 1721 in Leipzig), physician
- Robert Erasmus Freiherr von Patow ( born September 10, 1804 in Malle Nchen; † January 5, 1890 in Berlin), Prussian politician
- Joachim Gottschalk (1904-1941), actor
- Jean Pierre Vité ( born June 11, 1923 in United Jehser ), forest scientists
Other personalities who are associated with the city
- Carl Anwandter (1801-1889), major figure of German migration to Chile and founder of the German School in Valdivia (Chile), was city treasurer and mayor of Calau